1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fall shootout-OMD & $100 Lens vs. D800 & $1,900 lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SpecFoto, Oct 23, 2012.

1. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Just got back from a quick weekend trip to the Bishop, CA area for the last of the fall colors. Such a rugged and beautiful place.

One of these photos was taken with my D800 and Nikkor 45mm f/2.8 PCE lens on a CF tripod....as good as it gets for nature shots. The other 4 with the OMD, handheld, and the the Oly 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II lens. A $100 (kit) lens vs. a $1,900 one. Without looking at the exif data, can you tell which one is the Nikkor? I know it is hard at the web restricted sizes, but the amazing thing is, I have printed these at 17" by 22" and I can't see any difference! I am VERY impressed by the OMD-WOW. And doubly impressed by this small zoom :biggrin:

Near Aspendale in Bishop Creek

Waterfall in Bishop Creek

Silver Lake

Intake 2 Lake
    [​IMG]

Convict Lake

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Jim

• Like Like x 7
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    What a beautiful place, and such great photos!

3. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    You appear to have stripped the EXIF, but I will call the "Intake 2 Lake" shot as the D800 one

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Gets my vote as well. :smile:

5. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Hmm, new at posting here, the exif data is intact at my pbase host site, can't explain why it is stripped.

No the Intake 2 lake photo is a Oly jpeg. The OMD was set to "Enhance 1", first time I tried that setting. When I opened the photos in Adobe Bridge, the colors just popped for that series (the sun was at my back) and I used the jpeg straight from the camera. All the others were raw and then saved as jpeg's (my normal workflow). Very impressed with the jpegs from the OMD.

Jim

6. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    I vote Intake 2 Lake for the D800...there was no post processing on any of the fotos?

I think the OMD fotos would have had a deeper blue sky and the water would have not had somewhat harsh reflections if a polarizer or ND filter had been used. The fotos do all look very good and very close. Would have been nice to see a couple direct comparisons shots...of the same scene.

just saw the OP update...well, which shot is the D800? I like te Intake Lake shot very much...the mountains look great as well.

7. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I'm pretty sure I can tell based on aspect ratios... :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    D800= "Convict lake".

9. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Yes, I wish I had the 37 and 46mm ND and CPL filters with me, but I left them in another bag... at home.... errrr.

PP just my normal levels adjustment, contrast, tone and sharpening. The Intake jpeg is (almost) all OLY's doing. I did use the PS shadows and highlight tool on Silver Lake for the portion of the mountain in the shade.

Jim

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    OP has already said that "intake 2" is from the Olympus. I was going to say it was since it has that Olympus blue to the sky.

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Waterfall in Bishops Creek is the odd one out, the colours are more muted.

12. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Correct! That is the D800 photo. Good eye, John.

Three of the OMD's photos were raw and processed with my normal workflow of levels, tone and contrast adjustment, then sharpened, just like the D800 photo. Intake 2 was a OMD jpeg (almost) straight from the camera. The camera was set to enhance 1 for this shot, and it shows. Plus the sun was at my back for this one, all the others had sidelight.

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  13. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Just FYI, that fall is called 'Mist Falls' and is actually from a spring.

I'm up there several times a year, and am planning on climbing up to it when the snow clears next year.

Lucky bastard that lives right under it.

14. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Yes, your photos from a 2 weeks ago gave me the inspiration for the quick trip. Thanks!

Actually I was told by a local that the guy who lives near the falls rerouted the spring to make the falls go over the rocks. Before it went to the left and into his backyard.

15. Olyphotographer

Olyphotographer Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur
    Based on DoF Intake 2 Lake I think was with the Nikon gear

16. Olyphotographer

Olyphotographer Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur
    I had just hit reply before I scrolled around to see if you had answered. IMPRESSIVE for just being straight from the camera OM-D

17. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Most might think Intake 2 Lake was the Nikon, because of the colors. But when shooting raw (or standard jpeg), Nikon has always been somewhat muted compared to others (I am talking the pro bodies, not the ones with all the scenes settings). The OMD raw file has just a bit more pop to it. The OMD jpeg's really pop, and become vivid in the Enhance setting. Reminds me of old Velvia slide film at ISO 50. Of course Nikon bodies have vivid adjustments available, but I just don't use them. I shoot normally in either Landscape or Portrait mode, both settings are somewhat muted.

The thing that surprised me the most was headroom in the photos. The 16MB OMD file has lots of it, the depth is there, including the jpeg version. I printed these at 17 by 22 inches and there is zero noise in the OMD prints, even where I used the Highlight tool to bring up the shadows, or in the Intake 2 Lake jpeg. I simply cannot see any difference between the prints. Kudos to Olympus!

Jim

18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Lovely images. I love it there this time of year. All that aspen color.

Did you get to soak a line as well? :smile:

19. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Me too lol.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    At first glance, Photo 1 & 4 maybe with the nikon. 4th is what sticks out to me.