1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Faking Out OV3

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Brian Beezley, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

It is possible to get Olympus Viewer 3 to do things it otherwise would not by modifying EXIF parameter values in the .ORF RAW file. To do this, I used PhotoME. To be safe, make changes to a copy of the RAW file.

Border Pixels

You can recover hidden pixels that surround the normal image by changing four parameters. First, determine the maximum image width and height for your camera by looking for the following parameters, which are near the top of the parameter list:

max.

Next, scroll down into the Image Processing section and locate these parameters:

values.

Change each offset value to 0 by clicking on the line and entering the new value. Change Final Width and Final Height to the maximum values you found in the first step. Then exit the program, saving your changes when asked.

example.

This shows what you can do. The left image is the original and the right is after modifying the EXIF values. The expanded image is even larger than that provided by RawTherapee.

ant1.

I took this photo with my Olympus 14-42mm f/4-5.6 lens at 14mm. I think OV3 does a fair amount of distortion correction at that focal length using the border pixels. But the image just got bigger without any ill effects.

You'll hardly ever need the border pixels, but it's nice that they're available.

Brian

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting... I might script this using ExifTool and see if I can get ACR to do the same, could be useful!

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    There was one thing I was hoping this program could do and that was change the Olympus Digital Camera title to something else. It looks like this is hard baked into the camera and can't be changed except when the RAW file is converted to JPG.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It's also interesting that while you can change the 'Person who created the image' and 'Copyright Holder' information in-camera, PhotoME doesn't have the ability to modify this.

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    is it even possible to modify G5/G6 raw files with PhotoME so that all the 18MP can be utilised?

6. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I downloaded EXIFTOOL, a command-line EXIF utility. Once you set it up, you can use it to automatically change borders in an ORF. It modifies the file but saves a copy (input filename with _original appended). The processed file is about 40k bytes shorter than the original. I don't know what else EXIFTOOL is deleting, but OV3 doesn't seem to mind. However, I'm keeping my original ORFs just in case.

Windows batch file for recovering border pixels:

Code:
    c:\util\exiftool -cropleft="0 0" -croptop="0 0" -cropwidth=4100 -cropheight=3084 %1
    You must modify this file for your computer and camera. EXIFTOOL is in c:\util on my computer. Change the path for your computer. Set cropwidth and cropheight to the correct values for your camera. When viewing the folder containing the batch file, drag the ORF you want to modify onto it. Alternatively, put the batch file in your SendTo folder. Then you can simply right-click on the ORF, select Send To and the batch file, and click.

This batch file deletes the image description tag, which Olympus sets to OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA and Flickr uses as a default image description, which I find annoying:

Code:
    c:\util\exiftool -imagedescription= %1
    I am unfamiliar with EXIFTOOL and there may be better ways to do these functions. But this works for me.

Brian

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 2