1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fake or legit O45mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey guys, two days ago i got my new O45mm from the bay. It came from a seller in Korea and with an Olympus Korea official sticker in the box, the lens took less than 48 hours to arrive to my hands so i was stoked about it, the lens came perfectly wrapped, box sealed, etc... took it for its first ride the same day but most importantly yesterday, and it performed wonderfully. even for some street candids. no problems at all. anyway, this morning reading mu43.com as i do daily, i read somewhere that there was some firmware update for this lens. since i couldnt remember if that was true or not, I connected the camera and lens through olympus updater and got that the camera was up to date (fw 1.2) but for the lens, didnt show up the name or model of it. !! I do recall that every time i connect my OMD or even my past EPL2 the computer recognizes the name and model of every lens mounted...but not this time?.

heres a screenshot of what im talking about....

[​IMG]

Is it like this with all your Oly 45mm or i got a fake copy or something? :confused:

2. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I got the same thing.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Software glitch. Mine does it too.

On a side note, if it functions at all, the odds of it being a 'fake copy' are extremely slim. Lenses aren't like SD cards where the same basic components are used for many different brands, and so can be readily produced and labeled by a third party.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I got scared for a minute, as my lens from Korea does the same thing with software updater. Lens works great, sounds like all's well. :smile:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    phew! thats good news then!. thanks everyone for clearing this up. im just LOVING this lens!

6. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Being new to all this...why do you ned to update the camera software for a lens? Wont it work right without an update?

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Generally you don't need an update - everything will work fine. But occasionally there are bugs, or features that require updates. For example, the 4/3 14-42 did not support contrast detect autofocus (useful for m4/3 and live view) when first released, but with a firmware update, they do.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  8. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Thanks...just bot a Korea lens myself so was concerned.

9. shockaaa

shockaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    if you use this lens with a GH2 would you need an update?

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The lens is a fake. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it! :wink: :biggrin:

11. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm - does the 45mm need a firmware update?

12. shockaaa

shockaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    if anyone in canada bought this lens from a korean ebay seller...how much did u end up paying in duties and taxes?

13. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  14. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Can be happier with my Korean 45 mm