Fake BLN-1 - Reliable?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by slothead, Sep 1, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    OK, so I bought one of these fake BLN-1 batteries and it comes with its own charger and cannot be charged in the Oly charger. Do I dare trust it in my OM-D? I am skeptical and fear that it could create some catastrophic failure mode that I am not aware of. Has anyone used one of these batteries in their camera? It is a "Premium Tech Professional" PT-BLN-1 and has a barcode of 026127843863.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have used 3rd party batteries in many cameras with no issues. The one issue is they don't talk to the camera, so often they just suddenly die, without the battery low light coming on.

The other issue i find with the knock offs is they dont last as long. Even if they start out lasting as long as the brand named batteries, they seem to lose capacity sooner than the brand names. BUT for no batteries at $59 each vs. two batteries you can actually order at $26 for two, the choice is pretty clear.

I stick to the better named (brand named?) third party batteries like Wasabi, maximal and Power2000. I've not used the name you mentioned.

Yesterday, I ordered the 2 Wasabi plus charger package on amazon for $26.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Tom.

There's a thread on the 3rd party battery options:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/om-d-e-m5-wasabi-bln-1-batteries-amazon-26891/

I've gotten good results out of the Wasabi cells, and the vendor (Blue Nook) has given me excellent service.

HTH

Jim

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I use third-party batteries, with no complaints, for a couple months. In the grip, the camera does signal me that the battering is low. I haven't used the third-party in the camera until it was fully drained.

Gary

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    For all the fear mongering about third party batteries I have never heard of any catastrophic failures or camera damage from using them. Good sellers will note issues like being unable to use the original charger or non-chipped batteries being unable to show the remaining battery life.

Speaking of which, right now I'm looking for an extra GH2 battery, if anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it. :)