Fair price for OM 50mm 1.4?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zulfur666, Nov 18, 2014.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Whats a fair price in great condition OM 50mm 1.4 lens? I see them used on BH photo for $129.95 they include a warranty too, but wonder if its overpriced?
    I like to venture into the OM lenses just for fun a bit if I don't like it like after a year or so like to re-sell it. Would have to get an adapter too, the MF-2 OM Lens Adapter is also not too cheap. thanks for advice. Tried a search for OM adapter couldn't really find much.
  2. Stan Doubt

Stan Doubt New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2012
    eBay completed auctions provides actual prices paid in real transactions. There are a lot fewer 50mm f1.4 sales than f1.8 and the condition will of course be an issue with a used item. You can also ask KEH what they'd pay for a 50 f1.4 in the condition you're looking for.

Keep in mind that information in enthusiast forums like this one might be somewhat biased as people might be more likely to talk about good deals they have gotten.

For manual lenses where there is no electrical contact between the lens and the camera the adapter pretty much just has to be solidly made. I've had good luck with inexpensive Chinese ones available on eBay and Amazon.

Shooting with legacy lenses is fun, good luck!
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I paid $97 for mine with a high serial number (1,108,444). The ones under 1.1M go for less.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Sold one on here several months ago for around $90 (First version G-Zukio Silvernose). Wasn't an immediate sale, but was in almost immaculate condition.
  5. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    Prices seem softer now compared with a year or six months back. I'd wait for an ebay auction to crop up, you may snag a bargain.

IMO the 50mm f/3.5 macro is a far better lens usually for similar money which is actually offering something over and above - i.e. brilliant macro performance.
  6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Forgot to mention that I sold it with an OM1 in really nice shape as well. May have added to the value overall.