Fair price for new Panasonic 12-32 lens?

nstelemark

Originally E.V.I.L.
Real Name
Larry
I got to handle a GM-1 tonight and all I can say is wow. Makes my E-PM1 seem big.

I shot a test image with the 12-32 and the E-PM1 and I was not blown away. It is OK but I would not rush out to buy it. It is very compact though, and very well designed.

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
+1...unless he needs the funds. The more I use the 12-32, the more I like it (and again, I normally shoot with primes).
lol I do need the funds, especially with all the crazy Black Friday sales.

But the biggest problem is, the 12-32 is too good a lens to let go! Its quality is so good, one can retire all the previously available kit zooms like 12-42, 12-50 etc. The fast zoom speed, available DOF control, tiny size, OIS, what more does anyone want?

This is truly a priceless lens.

moccaman

Mu-43 Veteran
The 12-32 has shown up downunder as available on its own! AUD$499 which is around USD455 right now, not bad considering its from Teds too!

Theo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Theo K.
I really like the size and build quality and above average performance. The deal breaker for me, especially for a premium price, is the absence of manual focus ring. How is AF in dim lighting? This lens is not fast, I suspect nailing the focus in dim lighting would be difficult using AF.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 mobile app

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow, just received my GM1 kit today. Speechless. Wow. The Chinese have definitely mastered the art of miniaturization and class..

To be fair, the lens was designed by the Japanese company Panasonic, not by the Chinese. I'd be willing to bet the equipment used to manufacture it was made in Japan, too, And the Chinese factory where it's made is almost certainly managed by Panasonic.

The Chinese are very, very good at many things, but creative design really isn't one of them, yet.

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
Why is the new 15/1.7 recommended? Since it doesn't have OIS, isn't the 17/1.8 just as good because it's the same form factor?
We want to know if the 15mm will be as good optically as the 20mm/25mm lenses, which the 17mm isn't. Don't get me wrong, it gets almost everything right, but it's very expensive and not as sharp as other premium primes. If anything, competing with the new model will drive its price down.

alan1972

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan Grant
For anyone interested in Eurozone pricing, I just noticed that in Spain the lens on its own is available direct from Panasonic for 350 euro:
http://shop.panasonic.es/H-FS12032/H-FS12032E-S,es_ES,pd.html

They have the GM1 kit at 700 euro and another kit option with the addition of the 20mm lens at 1000 euro. Delivery within Spain is 5 euro per order.

I imagine they have something similar in other European country-specific websites but I have't checked.

Latest threads

Top Bottom