1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fair price for new Panasonic 12-32 lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by m43man, Nov 22, 2013.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I'm thinking about getting the GM1 soon as a compact travel camera, but since I never use a zoom lens, I would definitely sell the 12-32 kit lens which accordingly to many reviews its IQ is amazing, even better than the Olympus 12-50mm lens which is 2.5 times bigger!

But what is a good price to sell it at? eBay is listing it brand new ~$450, is this a reasonable price? What do you guys think?

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green

Well, that listing is definitely someone who's hoping to charge a premium to an early adopter. Once the lens becomes more widely available, I'd expect it to drop to the $250-300 level.

• Like Like x 1
  3. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I agree, but since it's not available now, and I have no use for it when I get it, what to list it at in the meantime?

4. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Sony nex 16-50mm (24-75mm) pancake lens started at a similar level when it wasn't available to order other then the kit lenses. Then Sony started to sell for $350 after the 3-6 months of initial release. Now easily it can be found at $219 brand new eg at digitalrev... Panasonic doesn't sell the lens separately here which might keep the lens more expensive initially... Eventually Panasonic lens prices reduce by time as Panasonic makes their money from early adopters...

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    When it first comes out, $350 is probably a fair price. But I expect it will drop to $250 as more people who only want the body sell their lens.

The other side of the coin, is how much will people sell just the body for? You may have people who only want the lens selling the body. Is the body by itself worth $400 or $500?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    When the Panasonic pancake zoom 14-42 first came out, it could be resold for $400. It currently resells around $200 or less.

I think the 12-32 will follow a similar arc. I think you could get 350 if you sold it today, but I wouldn't count on getting more.

Someone recently sold one for 449 on ebay, but there are many auctions that failed to get that price.

• Like Like x 1
  7. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I was quoted $2,700 HKD here in Hong Kong by my local shop, which is about $350 USD. Availability here should be end of next week.

If you sold it straight away, someone would probably buy it for $350 from somewhere in the world where there was no availability.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Fair is supply and demand. Right now the cheapest price on eBay is US $425, and some are probably selling at that price. I imagine if you listed one for $400 you'd get it sold.

Mind you, I'm not saying it's worth that much to me--I'm willing to wait until there's a large supply and the price falls to something I'm willing to pay. But that's probably what you could sell it for now on eBay.

• Like Like x 1
  9. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I reckon its worth 250 and would be willing to buy it off you for that :friends::hiding:

Seriously though, anyone who tells you its worth X is likely interested in it and testing the waters to see what they can get it off you for!

Best you list it up for what you think, wait for the first 7 day listing to pass then drop the price, and by the 3rd or 4th listing you might sell it, but by then a month has passed and you will likely have a lot more competition! Dont forget feebay takes 10%, so selling for $400 means $360.00.

And on that note of feebay fees, I notice a lot of sellers in this forum pushing for premium prices on gear over and above ebay, knowing they are making an extra 10% at the same time. I browse through the FS here and half the time wonder why I bother, US ebay and OZ ebay are far better for getting something at a fair price imho.

• Like Like x 1
  10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Oh and as you never use a zoom lens, can I buy the ones you got listed in your sig' cheap?? :mischeif:

• Like Like x 1
  11. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I didn't considered this, but very good point! :thumbup:

As for zoom lens, what I meant to say was, I'd never use a big zoom on a tiny cam like the GM1. But nice try though :biggrin:

12. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Thanks all for the pricing feedback, I am new to m43 so not sure about resale value trends.

13. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    When you get it I want to see a pic of it with the 100-300 on it, maybe shoot it in the cartoon mode :biggrin:

14. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    you got it, please give me some thanks when you see them loaded next week :smile:

15. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    This is a great lens...only had my GM1 and 12-32 for about 9 hours and already would not want to part with either. My advice for the lens is to put it on ebay and start it at $1...then have fun watching the feeding frenzy! I think you'll be pleased with the winning bid...

• Like Like x 1
  16. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    That's what I'm afraid of too, once I play with the lens, I won't want to part with it!!:tongue:

But I like do the $1 eBay frenzy idea instead of posting here. :2thumbs:

Can I set a minimum price target just in case nobody bids? :confused:

17. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Yes, you can set a minimum (called a reserve), but it really drives bidders away because the reserve price is unknown...they just move on to a fixed price listing or a real auction (no reserve).

I've been selling this and that on ebay for 14 years...and I always do best starting at $1 with no reserve. I have never been disappointed. In the next few days I'll be listing some of my older Lumix bodies (GF1, GX1, G3, G5)!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Agree with $1 starting bid. Unlike the old days, you can't steal a well sought after item anymore. The auction will end at a very fair price. You may be surprised.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    wow the $1 starting bid without reserve seems a bit crazy?! What if the final bid is way under the "acceptable" market value? Besides, it seems the longest bid for "no reserve" is only 10 days. Is this enough for a lens like this to get enough attention during its short time window?

20. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    10 days is plenty - in fact 7 days is plenty, because all serious bids will come in at the last few minutes, but the fact is, it certainly IS possible that if you start it at $1, you'll sell it at a lower price than you want. What you should price it at depends on if you are patient and can wait for top dollar, or if you need to sell it quickly to get the cash. If you have patience, you should start with a fixed price somewhere around $400-425, and gradually drop the price maybe $25 every few days until it sells.

• Like Like x 1