Fair Price for EP5 w/ VF4?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobDMB, Oct 7, 2013.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    First of all, if this is not a proper for this forum, MODS please feel free to move this or delete.

After using the EP5 for awhile, I am thinking to changing to either the OMD or EM-1 for the built in viewfinder and more importantly, a little larger grip. I was wondering what a fair asking price would be for a mint condition Black EP5 w/ VF4 viewfinder. This was purchased as a kit, but I would opt to keep the 17mm. Just want to be fair with an asking price if I decide to sell. Thanks.

2. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

A new E-P5 is currently $950 and the VF-4 bumping up against $250 (I paid $280 2 months ago!). So $1200 gets you brand new virgin gear with full warranty. If you want to entice a buyer you'll need to price it so the loss of the warranty (& ensuing risk) and virgin status is significantly offset by monetary savings. I'd say a 40 to 50% discount from the new price would get you a fast sale. The E-Px series loses value fast so don't wait too long.

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Keep in mind that NEW grey market with warranty bundles with the VF-4 and the 17mm lens can be gotten nowadays for between $1300 and $1350 including shipping, and folks can turn around and sell the lens for ~$350. So you'll find it challenging to get much over $1000 for the body plus the VF-4 without the lens

4. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking potentially around $900 - maybe that is still a bit high based on the feedback.

5. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    40 to 50% off the new price would cause a landslide/tornado/tsunami of people falling over themselves to buy it.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I think you'd see demand somewhere in the vicinity of $900, and MANY buyers at $800-850, and resistance as you got to the mid to upper $900s

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

For me, I'd rather pay a few mo' benjamins for a new unit with warranty. Pretty sure there will be a massive price drop come black friday.

8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Body is around $730-800 and VF-4 for $220-$240.

At least that's how I've been selling them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. sjohnsonjd

sjohnsonjd Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    When the price of the VF4 comes down, please let me know!

10. Rangerob

Rangerob Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    RobDMB,
    Im interested in purchasing a used ep5. Please pm with some pricing info.
    Thanks

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I would ask $950 - 1,000.... I haven't seen any priced lower than that. I think some of your answers are people with wishful thinking they can get a bargain. It hasn't been out that long.

12. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    That's the correct price with the VF-4. :smile:

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    You can get a brand new one for that price, in fact you just sold a brand new one for $750 without the VF-4, if I'm not mistaken. His is very slightly used. Not quite the same thing. Also, the DPReview review probably knocked it down a peg.

14. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    What are looking for a weatherseald body,as the VF4 you have is way better than EM5 viewfinder.

15. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

The E-P5 is $949 brand new on Amazon and many other websites. Why would anyone buy a used one without warranty and customer service perks for the same price as a new one?

16. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    That's the price without VF-4.

To OP, personally I'd try with your initial price of $900 and if no one's buying, then lower the price

17. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Agreed. I forgot we are talking used here :eek: 

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.