1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Failing FL-600r - can it be salvaged?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by felipegeek, Jul 26, 2015.

1. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast Subscribing Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    I used my FL-600r last night and ran into a strange problem and I've been able to reproduce it on my E-M5 and E-PL3. When it fires in A-TTL or A mode it goes off at full power and yet the photos are underexposed. In Manual mode it goes off at full power but overexposes the image. Furthermore when I press the power button to shut the flash off it fires again at full power then shuts off. The flash was bought used from a forum member several months ago. At some point I suspect was dropped by my eldest child which broke the flash door. I replaced the door and it was working fine afterwards but I did notice a couple of times since then that the flash spontaneous fired. I just thought it was a contact issue and would re-seat the flash on the hot shoe and keep going. I didn't take it as an indicator of the beginning of a full-on failure.

I have an FL-36 (non-R) so I'm not without a TTL capable flash. It it's just quite a bit slower to recycle.

Has anyone run into this behavior? If so, how did you resolve it? Would it be worth repairing given that I bought it for $175?

Thanks,

2. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I had a similar problem with mine (flash would always totally overexpose in auto, always totally underexpose in TTL, manual would respond to a flash but contribute nothing measurable). Just decided to stop working properly one day without being banged around. Olympus repaired it under warranty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.