Failing FL-600r - can it be salvaged?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by felipegeek, Jul 26, 2015.

1. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    I used my FL-600r last night and ran into a strange problem and I've been able to reproduce it on my E-M5 and E-PL3. When it fires in A-TTL or A mode it goes off at full power and yet the photos are underexposed. In Manual mode it goes off at full power but overexposes the image. Furthermore when I press the power button to shut the flash off it fires again at full power then shuts off. The flash was bought used from a forum member several months ago. At some point I suspect was dropped by my eldest child which broke the flash door. I replaced the door and it was working fine afterwards but I did notice a couple of times since then that the flash spontaneous fired. I just thought it was a contact issue and would re-seat the flash on the hot shoe and keep going. I didn't take it as an indicator of the beginning of a full-on failure.

I have an FL-36 (non-R) so I'm not without a TTL capable flash. It it's just quite a bit slower to recycle.

Has anyone run into this behavior? If so, how did you resolve it? Would it be worth repairing given that I bought it for $175?

2. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    I had a similar problem with mine (flash would always totally overexpose in auto, always totally underexpose in TTL, manual would respond to a flash but contribute nothing measurable). Just decided to stop working properly one day without being banged around. Olympus repaired it under warranty.