1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fade to grey : using a telephoto lens for landscape

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Gwendal, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hi - just got back from Italy and the wonderful region of Le Crete, where I have been able to take a few shots of the landscape with both the 17mm pancake of the kit, and the 40-150mm in 4/3 mount via adapter.

While the photos taken with the 17mm do justice to the landscape, in those taken with the 40-150 at full 150, I end up with skies particularly grey when in fact they were rather blue - nothing than cannot be corrected in PP, but shouldn't it be possible to get the right colors directly ? Am I completely missing something here, since I guess it has nothing to do with the quality of the lens itself ? thanks in advance - examples below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I think it's just a buildup of atmospheric haze.

Is the second picture taken with the 17mm? You can see some haze also in the horizon. And assuming that you zoom into it with the 150mm it should become a lot more hazy.

I think polarizers can cut the haze a bit… Not sure how much since I use tele lenses quite rarely.

This is assuming that first is 150mm and the second image 17mm :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I see from exif that the first is indeed at 150mm. You are just looking at a small segment of the sky and I suspect the haze dominates. In the w/a 17mm shot you have a lot more light being reflected from a wide sky and I suspect the blue (which is actually scattered from the haze making the blue colour) dominates.

As a retired Physics teacher that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :2thumbs: :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Indeed the second shot is 17 mm and the first 150...
    I'll take the advice of a physics teacher then - and Krang - actually, there was a Hoya polarizer on the 17mm, and I can't remember whether it was in place on the 40-150 as well, but I'm 70% certain it was the case.
    PP it will be then !