1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Faces of the poets

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by akulya, Oct 11, 2010.

1. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Here are a few shots taken from;

The Times 2010 Cheltenham Literature Festival UK All-Star Poetry Slam.

Sat in the sixth row back, and using an E-P1 and trying not to get noticed by the stewards (in which I succeded). I was attempting some long range portraiture with a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 3.5/135mm manual focus prime (in which I may have succeded).

A084301.

A084302.

A094339.

A094399.

A094396.

I have admired many candid black and white portraits (notably ajramirez) since joining this community, but this is my first attempt.

C&C welcome

• Like Like x 1
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    As someone who hasn't taken any candid photography such as this for a very long time (the 1970's with my much loved and lamented Leica M3) I think you have succeded, except perhaps where someone's head got in the way!, the 4th one is particularly good.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  3. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

I agree no 4 is excellent. This probably a good example that the IS works for you??

What shutterspeeds and ISO did you use???

NICE!

Johan

• Like Like x 1
  4. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    #4 was taken at ISO200 and 1/30s - I think the exif is intact, but they are all labelled with settings used in my gallery.

I was using the e-p1 with the IBIS on mode 1 and set the focal length to 135mm to compliment the lens; I didn't take any tripod shots to compare how well the IBIS fared (hello again subtlety; not seen much of you lately?), but I think it certainly helped.

Being as the poets themselves were quite lively around the stage, my shutter speeds might have been a fraction too slow, but hey - I know better for next time :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. PeteMarshall

PeteMarshall Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    The forth one down show no camera shake that I can see, whilst all the other show a tad...sure you didn't change the shutter...or did you just breath in:smile:
    Even with IS 1/30 sec is pretty slow, I think the results speak for themselves, great shots that you couldn't have got away with shooting on a dSLR:cool:
    Perhaps up the ISO to 400 and shutter at 1/60 would have made the difference

• Like Like x 1