Faces of the poets

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by akulya, Oct 11, 2010.

1. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Here are a few shots taken from;

The Times 2010 Cheltenham Literature Festival UK All-Star Poetry Slam.

Sat in the sixth row back, and using an E-P1 and trying not to get noticed by the stewards (in which I succeded). I was attempting some long range portraiture with a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 3.5/135mm manual focus prime (in which I may have succeded).

A084301.

A084302.

A094339.

A094399.

A094396.

I have admired many candid black and white portraits (notably ajramirez) since joining this community, but this is my first attempt.

C&C welcome

• Like Like x 1
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    As someone who hasn't taken any candid photography such as this for a very long time (the 1970's with my much loved and lamented Leica M3) I think you have succeded, except perhaps where someone's head got in the way!, the 4th one is particularly good.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  3. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

I agree no 4 is excellent. This probably a good example that the IS works for you??

What shutterspeeds and ISO did you use???

NICE!

Johan

• Like Like x 1
  4. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    #4 was taken at ISO200 and 1/30s - I think the exif is intact, but they are all labelled with settings used in my gallery.

I was using the e-p1 with the IBIS on mode 1 and set the focal length to 135mm to compliment the lens; I didn't take any tripod shots to compare how well the IBIS fared (hello again subtlety; not seen much of you lately?), but I think it certainly helped.

Being as the poets themselves were quite lively around the stage, my shutter speeds might have been a fraction too slow, but hey - I know better for next time :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. PeteMarshall

PeteMarshall Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    The forth one down show no camera shake that I can see, whilst all the other show a tad...sure you didn't change the shutter...or did you just breath in:smile:
    Even with IS 1/30 sec is pretty slow, I think the results speak for themselves, great shots that you couldn't have got away with shooting on a dSLR:cool: 
    Perhaps up the ISO to 400 and shutter at 1/60 would have made the difference

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.