1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Facebook?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by MrDoug, Nov 20, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    anyone here member of Facebook? I hear bad things.. opinions please..
    Thanks

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup.

What sort of things have you heard?

3. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Identity theft, posting malicious and false stuff.. things like that.. not that I believe that is all true, but.....just curious! I have never used it..

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, somebody could make a fake Facebook page of you. Just start your own Facebook page, and you'll never have to worry about that. ;)

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    eh
    i dislike it
    they used to constantly change settings on people, which was obnoxious
    so things you had as private, suddenly werent
    its a lot of nonsense that you get spammed with daily, unless you turn it all off, and they dont reset the settings...
    i havent been on in mebbe two months now, and im SO much happier without it! lol

but, it was fun for awhile
    so i say.. SIGN UP! have fun, if u get over it, then stop signing in ;)

6. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I have used Facebook for a few years, and used to enjoy it more, but, as Eliot notes, recently they have been changing things more frequently and they make it confusing to keep up with what permissions you have given them or not. That said, I think the worries over abuse, identity theft, etc. are rather overblown. Some people refuse to use it because of worry over privacy issues, but I just:

A) try not to post anything that I care too much about on the privacy front

and

B) remind myself that we have very little real privacy in the internet age anyway, if someone really wants to investigate us,

So, my suggestion is, go with the flow, give it a try and Don't Worry, Be Happy

I had hoped Google+ would take off better, but it has not so far, and after all Facebook is a good way for me to keep up with my internationally scattered friends and relatives, including like 20 or so various cousins I would otherwise hardly hear from

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I feel exactly the same way! FB is an integral part of my life now, but I use it mostly to keep up with what my friends all over the world are doing. Without FB, I would have lost touch with a lot of them.

I also don't post anything I feel private on FB, fearing that they will eventually find their way all over the web. I just share some random thoughts or harmless photos. I share most of my photo albums with my family members on Google+ only because of the better privacy settings, but unfortunately, Google+ has really not gained any traction among my friends...

One last warning: FB could get addictive when you first sign up... :wink:

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Facebook is convinient to keep track of what's going on in your friends lives. Just don't use your real last name (or modify it a little) and be careful what you're sharing. Nothing is really private on facebook as friends of friends can now see pictures they are tagged in (even if you set your albums to share w/friends only).

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm on it because damn near everyone I know is there and it's actually become necessary if I don't want to miss some key stuff. And I've reunited with a handful of old friends that were really nice to reconnect with. But generally I hate it and use it VERY lightly. I check in once or twice a month usually, sometimes less. I don't like the way they change stuff on you, I don't like how it's organized, I HATE the games that some of my friends play and I get spammed by unless I turn it all off. I've basically ended up turning a LOT of stuff off and have chosen to completely ignore some people I'm very close to in real life because they're just too obnoxious on Facebook.

So, I find it a necessary evil, but I keep it at arms length, probably a lot farther than arms length. It's an ok thing if you don't get sucked in by it. I've seen that happen to a lot of people - it sort of becomes their life.

-Ray

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I was on fb for 3 weeks. Been on Google+ for nearly 6 months now. I prefer G+ and the way you have absolute control over what you are sharing.

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I have no use for it. The friends I have I keep in contact with. If I don't keep in contact with them, I guess we're not friends. I value my privacy and don't feel the need to share everything with friends, family, and long distant aquaintances. I know it may make me a relic, but I'm fine with that.

12. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I sort of feel that way as well, but I've gotten back in touch with a number of people and with most its just a reminder of why we lost touch. But I've gotten back together with a few dear old friends that we'd just managed to lose an address or a phone number or something along the way and just lost the trail. I've seen a couple of them and that's been a REAL gift - something that very probably wouldn't have happened without facebook or something similar. I don't share much about myself there - its a good place to share family photos after a holiday or something, and I occasionally find out about some interest or activity that my grown kids are involved in that I might or might not find out about otherwise, and that's a nice adjunct to our ACTUAL relationship.

Bottom line, you can use it and it can be as non-intrusive as you want it to be. I keep it at long enough arms length that I never feel like its affecting my privacy or intruding more than I specifically let it. But when I want to catch up on a few things or share something easily with most of my circle of family and friends, its a good way to do it. Far from sharing everything, I shave very very little, but when I want or need to, its a good way to get the information out. You don't have to become a prisoner to it - it just seems that some people choose to....
    -Ray

13. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Your avatar is all the evidence we need, Ray. :wink:

About Facebook - it's a horrible website, but a bit of a necessary evil these days (but no less evil for it). I don't particularly like it, and wish it was more like Google+, but like Ray I find that I can keep in touch with friends that I lost track of in the past - many of them live half-way around the world and Facebook is the place where they are (not many of them are on G+).

14. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I could see how it might be useful if you were promoting a business or some worthwhile adventure but otherwise I wouldn't touch it with YOUR ten foot pole.

It's especially bad for kids and the young who have not much wisdom yet. They use it for a lot of negative purposes like gossip, bullying and promoting exclusionary cliques.

NOT having a gang of 'friends' know all your business can often be a good thing.

15. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm on FB too. I refrain from posting anything terribly personal, but enjoy posting photos and keeping up with friends from all over.

I can be found at https://www.facebook.com/ronssmith

16. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well then don't tell them any more of your business than you want them to know! Facebook itself has it issues, but the issue most of you are complaining about is HOW PEOPLE USE IT. I agree that a lot of people use it like idiots (in my opinion), but that's their prerogative. YOU don't have to use it that way. Again, use it on your own terms and its a somewhat useful thing. Getting sucked into it can be bad but its your own damn fault if you let that happen...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  17. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah, but I tend to not hang out with idiots. :tongue:

18. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You're from Texas!! :biggrin:

OK, sorry, too easy a fly not to take a swat at... Jeez, we all hang out with idiots to some extent. I just try to limit the damage they can do. In real life, on facebook, and in many many other locations on the interwebs....

-Ray

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've been finding FB very useful lately actually. I've been needing to hire new workers over the past month, and have been able to recruit them all through Facebook. The response I've gotten by posting an update has been very quick, and I've been able to fill emergency positions almost on the spot. I'm also looking for a roommate, and seem to have a likely candidate from Facebook.

20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Well said! :thumbup:

The issue is definitely HOW PEOPLE USE IT. You can be as private as you want and never post anything on FB, but just read up on what others are doing, or you can "check-in" on FB and let everyone know your every move. It's your choice. Just don't get sucked into it...