1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Facebook photos loose their name

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Rig Vader, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Hi,

I've recently been exporting jpg's out of lightroom and uploading them to a facebook album. When these photos are posted they all have the name "olympus digital camera", even though I gave both the jpg's and the album i uploaded the photos to very specific names.

Anyone know what's up or is it another case of facebook being unresonably aweful? Or some metadata misunderstanding?

I realize that I can likely re-name the photos once they are in the album, but I figure i shouldnt need to, when they already have perfectly good names.

2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I believe Facebook takes the 'names' from the exif, not the file name. For example I have my name set in my E-M5, which then writes it to the exif data of the photo, so when I upload photos to facebook, they will show up as OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Daros Koding Photography.

I believe you can edit the exif directly in Lightroom and other editing programs, but I've never tried.

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Does the same on Flickr. Just wrong exif data. Once in Lightroom 1, after I first got it, I managed to get a name that I did for a photo shoot to come up....but then it kept using the same name on every import/export...sigh.

4. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    It seems that exif title, caption and copyright are used if available. The filename itself get's thrown away. Since facebook is not aimed at photographers and ordinary people would likely not know what exif is anyway, this seems a funky choice. Anyway, now I know.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys :thumbup: