FaceBook - Grrrrrrrrrr!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Trigger, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Trigger

Trigger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to save images in order to avoid the automatic compression that FB applies, turning your nice photo into crap. I've read and tried numerous tutorials on-line, but none seem to work. I've even tried saving 'em as PNG files, but FB ruins those too.

Any confident, for-sure methods? I know there must be a way, as I have seen perfect images on FB.

(Using Photoshop CS6)

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I have never seen "perfect" images on FB. Do you have an example?

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Whatever tricks I had before seem to no longer work. Seems they want to normalize all images to look crappy and soft.

4. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    Set longest side to 2048 px.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Trigger

Trigger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks, but what if one doesn't want to post relatively larger images of their work on the 'net? There's so much theft of images, that many photographers prefer to only post their images at about 800 pixels max, and at a (PS) quality level of about 5. This size of file can still look ok for internet use, but even these get affected by FB.

Sky portions of an image are the worst affected; they go all blotchy and noisy.

6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I haven't tried, but perhaps shrink it down as small as you possibly can BEFORE uploading (some programs will let you preview results at different compression before actually saving). Maybe if the file is small enough, Facebook won't bother recompressing....

7. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    The 2048 px thing is my trick as well - it is the best solution I've found. They can actually look really good - but I've found that occasionally large areas of black get messed up by compression.

Image theft cannot be stopped. If someone wants your image for their own use, they'll find a way, of that you can be sure. Personally I just don't think about it anymore, not sure it's worth losing any sleep over, to be honest.

8. Trigger

Trigger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2013
    @ tosvus: Yes, I always do that, usually about 700-900 px across. From what I now gather, the 3 sizes that FB likes is 720, 960 and 2048 px across the long edge. But this still doesn't address their automatic compression.

It seems like File > "Save for Web" instead of the regular "Save As" is key, as well as setting the quality in that window at maximum/100%. Also in that window, I'm still unclear as to the "Bicubic" vs "Bicubic Sharper" vs "Bicubic Smoother" vs "Bilinear" vs "Nearest Neighbor" option. I suspect that this selection might also be critical for having one's image go through the FB machine unscathed. shrug

9. Trigger

Trigger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2013
    Image theft can be dealt with by simply posting smaller images only. They can't do much with a 800 pixel, medium quality JPG.

10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I've seen smaller images stolen before. If it's for web use, 800px is plenty.

Honestly, I really do not think there is a silver bullet for facebook uploading - based on your criteria.

11. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    If FB resizes then it must decompress and recompress. You can't alter a JPEG without the decompression/recompression cycle. To reduce the additional degradation, the initial compression used before upload should be minimal making this recommendation a good one. The more you compress the first time the greater the impact of FB's recompression. If you are not resizing in "Save for Web & Devices..." then the "Bicubic", et. al. settings are of no consequence. If you are downsizing then "Bicubic Sharper" is generally the best choice.

In general, PS's "Save for Web & Devices..." should always be used for creating JPEG's for web use. In the more recent versions of PS this has been improved with the addition of some control of what metadata is included and whether or not the ICM profile is embedded or not. PS's regular "Save..." loads a lot of PS specific ancillary data (e.g. Guides, save compression settings, ...) into the JPEGs that can add a lot of bulk. I've seen matching quality small JPEGs come out of "Save for Web & Devices..." that were half the size of the ones created using "Save...". The difference was the ancillary data.

12. fike

fike Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    The problem isn't really compression or resizing. The problem is that Facebook reduces the color depth and uses their own custom color profile. I post my images on Flickr (that respects your original size and compression) and then I post a link in Facebook. Annoying, but it is the only way.

13. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
  14. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    When you post to an album from a computer there is a check box for high quality uploads. That's your best bet. Can't do it from a tablet or phone.

15. Trigger

Trigger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2013
    I think that option only appears when one is initially creating a new "album".

I seem to have it sorted now; make the image 720 or 960 px, "Save for web" at 100% quality (in Photoshop).

• Like Like x 1