Face recognition

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by rich9cinti, May 26, 2013.

1. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Maybe I'm putting to much thought into this. I'm thinking best possible sharpness for general snapshot level images. Need your take on this. Face recognition is nice for snapshot images and pretty useful for general use and especially cool with group shots.

If you are in aperture mode or manual and have face recognition on, what aperture would you use for snapshots with two or more subjects? Let's assume good light and using a fast f/1.8 prime lens, should it be at f/4 to f/5.6 to minimize OOF areas since multiple subjects can vary in distance? I just don't know how the cameras deals with face recognition on... Not sure if the camera overrides your aperture settings and uses its own default focus setting, if any. Not sure if it's better to turn off face recognition and use a tighter aperture and do the focus/recompose method like I do with my DSLR.

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    I use face recognition all the time, but it doesnt violate on how the aparture works considering DOF. You still have to controll the depth of field by using different apartures and thats were the flash comes in if youre indoors and shooting with big depth of field. But for me, I stick to 1.4-2.8 and rather use high iso. But I love the face recognition feature alot!
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    When I am shooting small groups / individuals from fairly close with either the the 25 f1.4 or the 45 f1.8 I tend to use f4 as my standard aperture then adjust according to specific DOF needs.

I have turned off Face detection on my OMD as I found that trying to focus on one person in a group was an issue as it detected all others and at times, objects in the image area with tones similar to skin tones were also detected both of these at times had an impact on point/speed of focus and end result.

Since tuning it off I have not had any more problems and it makes for nice fast focus/shooting.
  4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I use face detection for single person portraits mostly. It works a treat for that.

Now, the one problem with it is (and the Panasonics are better in this regard IMO) which face it chooses to lock onto when several folks are in the photo.

For instance, DOF is greater behind the focal point than in front of it generally. Therefore, ideally, you would focus on the closer face of the two in the example you cited. At very open apertures focusing on the farthest away person might render the closer person in an unacceptably blurred manner for your needs.

As far as what aperture to use -- that depends on your distance from the subjects and the distance between them. You kind of develop an instinct for that after a bit of shooting (or a lot of shooting, lol) but there are calculators online you could use to help you grasp it.

There isn't a "f/4 gives you 2 foot depth of field" because it depends on focal length, distance to subject, and so forth. Were it that simple, lol...
  5. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I find face recognition great for street photography
  6. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Great topic. I'm fairly new to u4/3, and since day one I have face detection ON.

But would like to hear what other people have to say
  7. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks for all the replies! I have typically used f/4 for my portrait shoots to address DOF. It's reassuring to know that FD is not interfering with aperture settings. Thanks all.