Face focus E-P3, help needed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kevmaughan, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Kevmaughan

Kevmaughan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    I'm a Canon DSLR guy who picked up an E-P3 and some lenses from Santa. I'm trying out the face focus and I'm not quite sure what the camera is doing. I have it set to focus on nearest eye. I have a green center focus box and a face is detected which gives me a white box surrounding the face. When I half-press the shutter, the white box around the face doesn't do anything. Is it supposed to turn green? In other words, it there any visual confirmation that focus is locked on the face and not the primary AF point?

Will the face focus work with continuous focus? Will it track a face as it moves closer or side to side? (I know the AF system is very different than my 7D, but I'd like to get some good focused shots of my son while using a lens wide open)
    Thanks!

2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Interesting application, do let us know if you get it working reasonably well for you The E-P3 does have fast single-frame focus, not sure how it does for continuous with tracking faces.

My experience with the Oly automatic face-detection has been one of frustration, so much so that I stay out of "iAuto" mode: that mode uses auto-face detection exclusively. Unfortunately, the darned camera seems to want to call any old thing a "face" and focuses on that.

But if you have real faces in the photo, probably does a decent enough job. Again, let us know how it works out for you.

3. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I only use face detection when I choose auto focus selection point. It always choose the nearest an brightest object that looks like a face or the face itself.

4. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Welcome to the dark side. :wink:

When the camera detects the face, the white box will appear. Half-pressing the shutter should focus the lens on the detected face. Focus lock is indicated by the appearance of a green dot on the top right corner of your LED screen.

I've not tried face detect in tracking mode.