F8!...fun with flash!...and legacy lenses!

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by kevinparis, Nov 17, 2015.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Sometimes it is easy to get caught up with the low light, high ISO game and and forget that if you actually throw some light on a subject, even with old lenses, that the camera you have right now can do wondrous things.

I have just sent the last couple of days playing around with an E-M1, a couple of FlR600's and a Westcott Apollo Orb softbox and a selection of legacy lenses that have been sitting in a drawer for quite a few years

All shots are my ugly visage... and the lenses are probably the contax 50/1.7, 85/1.4 and the nikkor 35/2 and 105/2.5

Actual lens is irrelevant.... though those old things are rather good if you give them the chance....its all about having enough light to shoot f/8 at 200 ISO

Think this is the contax 50/1.7, just one FLR600 in the softbox

22448683644_b94399bb6c_b. PB160009 - Version 2 by kevinparis, on Flickr

I printed this one up to A3 the biggest I can do.. it looks pretty OK to me

Think this is the Nikkor 35/2 again just a strobe in a softbox

22679202979_58fd60f449_b. PB160012 by kevinparis, on Flickr

and this is the Nikkor 105/2.5

23100765105_040702c999_b. PB160005 by kevinparis, on Flickr

this is shot with the same wall behind me...difference is this time I fired a second flash against it to wash it out to white. I think this is the Contax 85/1.4

[​IMG]PB170017 by kevinparis, on Flickr

lost track of what lens I was using here... but I did throw some red tissue paper over the flash lighting the back wall

22478840193_0eaaaa6339_b. PB170033 by kevinparis, on Flickr

My take away is that you can get some very nice results if you apply some light and some basic smarts to the problem

comments and crits always welcome

cheers

K

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lighting is a great equaliser isn't it - knowing how to use a cheap flash and modifier will get you a lot further than GASing for a super lens. At f/5.6-8 even the kit lenses are perfectly adequate.

I've always found it a bit awkward to get a flash out except when I really plan it though (usually at home), it's also a bit socially awkward...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    totally agree...I was planning on doing some sort of blind test between kit zoom and legacy lenses...but got distracted

photography without interesting light will never work regardless of the f stop or the ISO

K

4. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    Kevin...some of those should be in the self portrait thread. The shots are excellent. Self portraiture is an important genre; it's a shame that it has been largely hijacked by the ubiquitous selfie. The fact that it can be done so well with such modest equipment is telling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    @kevinparis@kevinparis , All rather nicely executed.
    The "white" background looks very marginally over-lit, only insofar as you seem to be starting to lose contrast on your hair. Nothing the de-haze slider wouldn't fix.

Incidentally, I agree with @khughes44@khughes44 , these should really be added to the self portrait thread. :thumbsup:

6. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    And my favourites would be the "Hoodie" and the "Wine Glass"

7. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Kevin
    thanks for the kind words

I have dabbled in this sort of stuff over the years

I was sort of inspired to give this another go when I watched the video here

10 Different Lighting Setups Using A single Light And A Single Softbox - DIY Photography

I also forgot to mention one more bit of equipment.... Harry the head - who is invaluable in doing the lighting set up when working solo.

4890534873_bc48611389_b. Kevin and Harry - Born to stroll by kevinparis, on Flickr

He now lives on a lighting stand as opposed to the microphone stand, but he has been a very useful purchase over the years... I think about 10 euros from an art supplies shop

cheers

K

• Like Like x 4
  8. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Thanks Michael

regarding the white background image... I am not sure whether the lack of contrast on my hair is due to my hair being greyer than I hoped or the fact that the DOF seemed to run out :)

K

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    Nice Telecaster! Is that shot an homage to the Born To Run cover?

10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks... its just a cheapie Squire.. can't play for s**t.. but it is tuned the Keith Richards way Open G with no bottom E...

And yeah I was referencing Born to Run...hence the title of the pic ... Born to Stroll

K

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Kevin, did you have the WB on auto for all the pictures? I looked at the EXIF for a couple of them. I, too, like the hoodie and wine glass shots. Thanks for introducing us to Harry the Head. - David

12. Vandy

Vandy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2015
    VA
    Marc
    Nice, I like your putting those old lenses to work!

13. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

As far as I recall WB was on auto I certainly made no conscious WB decisions :)

Harry would like your phone number :)

K

14. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada