1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

F-Stop Backpacks

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Phocal, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Anyone using F-Stop backpacks (http://fstopgear.com)? There are no stores near me that carry them and I am really interested in getting one. Looking at getting the Guru as an everyday bag and if I like the bag getting something a bit bigger like the Loka. One of my main questions is about the ICU's. I know I don't need the Pro series (don't really need the depth for the OMD's), tossing around the Shallow or Slope series. The Shallow is listed as 5 inches deep and I really want to carry my E-M1 put in sideways so I can grab it by the grip. The E-M1 is just over 5 inches long, so was wondering if it would still be possible to carry it this way.

So far these are the only bags I have found that are really designed as true backpacking bags with the added benefit of carrying camera gear. If anyone knows of any other bags that are similar I would like to know about them.

Ronnie

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have a Loka (which is carry on legal) and a Satori (which is probably almost carry on legal but a touch too tall). I have a Small ICU and a shallow small ICU. The shallow is Ok for a minimal kit, but the full depth one is needed to fit the camera sideways (lens mount facing sideways) for my E-M1 and A7r.

The Loka is a perfect ultralighter pack for photo nerds - I fit my E-M1, 7-14, 12-40, 43 50-200, 1.4x teleconverter AND the A7r, 55/1.8, 35/2.8 AND a Sony RX100 in scuba housing in the small. It's tight and not ideal for super quick access and swapping, but works for me. If I don't need the telephoto or the underwater gear, the shallow will fit both bodies and a pair of lenses each with chargers. The Loka is also extremely comfortable for me. Well balanced, tight to the body. A few pics:

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Pics of a 'fully loaded' Loka
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413148177.838049.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413148239.639901.

Feel free to ask for more questions of pictures. I really, really like the F-stop products. The Mindshift Gear stuff is another interesting alternative, but a little less flexible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you for the reply and photos. I have seen the Mindshift Gear bags and do not really consider them true backpacking bags. They are set up in a strange way that I don't think really applies the weight of the bag properly like a true backpacking bag.

So the shallow is not deep enough to carry my camera in this position? I know it may stick above a little bit but after zipping up the back opening I suspect it would be fine. I really want to carry the camera in that position because it will be a lot easier to grab and pull out and really would prefer to use the shallow bags for added room of other items.

Photo Oct 13, 9 27 28.

5. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'll try to take some pics tomorrow so you can draw your own conclusions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I use a Satori and I have two different ICU:s, a shallow medium and an XL pro. I'd say it's pretty good, but avoid loading it with too much heavy gear. I used to walk around with my 500 f/4 in the bag, which caused it to buckle a bit in the lower part, which meant that the hip belt didn't provide much support and all the weight of the gear was on my shoulders, not comfortable. Tightening the hip belt hard somewhat mitigated this, but simply not having that big lens in the bag helped a lot more.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I have the Guru with a medium and a small shallow ICU. With the medium in the Guru, there's not much room on top for other gear. With the small there is a meaningful amount. I find the Guru to be an excellent hiking backpack - comfortable, great waistbelt, lots of attachment points. I have Gatekeepers all over the pack, and strap my tripod, hiking sticks, and other stuff there. The sleeve inside accommodates my Osprey bladder, or liter bottles fit in the mesh side pockets. The waist belt has Molle attachment points which I use for small gadget bags, like the Think Tank Skin 50.

Truly a a great piece of gear.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Really appreciate all the responses so far. Really wish they had a retailer near me so I could go check them out.

9. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A few shots of what I mean by too shallow for sideways. First is how I have mine set up right now, second is the E-M with P7-14 inserted sideways as far as it will go in a small shallow ICU:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413319364.321259.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413319405.636201.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I have posted this before in some other thread, but here is the XL Pro, filled with nearly all my gear. More recently, I have rearranged the spacers somewhat to make it accommodate the 150/2 at the expense of some of the other lenses. I currently consider adapting it to the 300/2.8 rather than the 500/4. This will likely free up some space.
    P3010060.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks for the photos, really appreciate it. Guess it's now time to sit down and figure out what I want to order.