eyecup for Olympus electronic view finder

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Elliot, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Elliot

Elliot Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    After hours of shooting in our record snow, I kept wishing for an eyecup to block out the light that kept blacking out the viewfinder.

Has anyone come across a product that would attach to the EVF to accomplish this?

2. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    GF1 needs one too!

Wish I could answer your question. The GF1 really needs one too. Any type of bright side or front light, and the eyelevel finder is useless. I'm not sure if the rubber pad on the Pen finder is removable, but if it is, you could measure where it fits onto and see if any of the generic eyecups would fit. The Lumix pad is not removable. I end up shooting with my left hand shading the top of the camera, not a good way to keep it steady.
  3. Elliot

Elliot Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    I is removable

Good idea. It can come off and looks like it is designed to take an accessory. Thanks for the reminder.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Elliot, I've just posted an illustration of the E-P2 EVF with the rubber eyepiece removed here.

We just need a part to fit now!

5. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hello Brian, I clicked on the item on your post and I did not get a drawing of what you had proposed....a rubber eyecup for the EVF.....is there such a thing?
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill,

I posted this :

which shows the EVF with the original rubber eyepiece removed... what we need is a replacement rubber eyecup - as you say. I don't know whether there is such a thing out there?

7. Bill Gordon

Thanks Brian, I guess I misunderstood what you said. Yes, I would love an eyecup similar to the E-1!!
  8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France

Pentax and Canon certainly did them for their SLRs - I may have a couple somewhere........I'll have a look - what the approx dia?
  9. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  10. Bill Gordon

the eyecup for the E-1 would not work because of the way that it attaches to the camera unless Brian Mosley has/had one and can give it a try. I lost two of them 'cause they came off very easy!!
  11. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    There is an eyecup now available for the VF-2 viewfinder. It is called the "EP-9" and you can order directly from the Olympus U.S. website. I just placed an order for one. It is pricey, but I'm hoping it will help with bright sunlight, and be more comfortable whenever I use my eyeglasses. Here is the link...

Olympus EP-9 Eyecup
    • Like Like x 1
  12. hiepphotog

hiepphotog New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2010
    That looks interesting, I might consider the thing.
  13. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Hmm ... if you find an EP-9 on the olympus UK website, and click the "buy now" button, it takes you to a page for the EP-1 (eyecup for the E-1)
  14. The Nomad

The Nomad New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2010
    Paris - France
    It's the same in France...
    I've just sent an e-mail to Olympus France to have them aware of the problem.

I agree with some of the posters: if I find the VF-2 very good, when you're shooting outside by a sunny day and the rays of the sun come from the side or from the front of you directly to your eye, the dazzle is unendurable!

Jean-Jacques - The Nomad
  15. Bill Gordon

Have you received your eyecup for the EVF yet.....if so how do you like it? I have tried to order but it is USA only!!
  16. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    Yes I received it. It only took a few days to get it in the mail. It's much larger than the included rubber eyepiece, almost 1-1/2" in diameter. It's a softer flexible rubber compared to the included one. The original one pulled off easy but the new eyecup was a little hard to push on, but I finally got it installed.

I haven't tried it with my eyeglasses yet, but when you put your eye directly on it, it is large enough to surround your whole eye and block out all light. Unfortunately my large nose still smudges up the LCD screen. But I can either tilt my head to the side, or tilt the VF-2 up to solve that problem. It would've been nice, if it was included with the VF-2.

Attached Files:

17. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Looks very interesting. I'm thinking of ordering one, and I was thinking I could double up the order and help out someone in the UK by buying more than one if anyone is interested in a trade of sorts.
  18. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    For UK users, you can order one from Luton Camera Repairs

Their website looks a bit naff, but they are actually Olympus' official spares agent ( Olympus told me this in reply to my email to them about the EP-9).

Not sure they have them in stock regularly, I struck lucky though and got a spare one they had, and it arrived today.

It really is a bugger to get on to the VF-2, so you have to be patient and careful.

It will also help if you have a spare kidney to auction off, as the EP-9 is priced at £19.99 plus £3.52 P&P (that's £23.51 in total, or if our American friends want to know what ridiculously inflated prices we pay for goods in the UK, $36)
  19. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    I know what you mean about the price. Mine, with shipping + tax, was $23.25 here in the USA. I haven't received it yet, but it has shipped. If it really helps to block out the light though, it just might be "priceless".

Good shooting,
  20. 151proof

151proof Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    I've received my eyecup yesterday. I use an eyecup on my D700 as well and this works just as good. My only gripe is that its not as soft as i thought it would be but other than that it's a great little piece. Yes it's a pain to put the thing onto the VF-2 but well worth it... Highly recommended!!!