Eye strain, E-M5 Mk II vs E-M1 Mk II

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
I have been thinking... could the eye strain be related to refresh rate? I imagine that even though the E-M1 and E-M5 apparently have the same EVF hardware that the refresh rate could be different. Not sure how you would be able to test his however.

Regards, C.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have tried adjusting the dioptre, but it does not make a difference.
Surely this is the clue. You say turning it makes no difference. But that isn't possible, it makes a huge difference, and with it set wrong you should not be able to see much at all.
Are you sure you are applying enough force to turn the tiny dioptre adjustment knob? If you really are turning it, and there is no difference, then it must be broken.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Surely this is the clue. You say turning it makes no difference. But that isn't possible, it makes a huge difference, and with it set wrong you should not be able to see much at all.
Are you sure you are applying enough force to turn the tiny dioptre adjustment knob? If you really are turning it, and there is no difference, then it must be broken.
What I meant was: yes, it makes a difference in terms of focus. I can see it changing. But it doesn't make a difference in terms of eye strain; I can't make the eye strain go away by adjusting the dioptre.

Regards, C.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
What I meant was: yes, it makes a difference in terms of focus. I can see it changing. But it doesn't make a difference in terms of eye strain; I can't make the eye strain go away by adjusting the dioptre.

Regards, C.
Christine, see a good optometrist or ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

All the best, John.

Real Name
Richard
I'll weigh in with same cameras, multifocal lenses and never have any issues at all.
I also stare through theodolite telescope often all day with no eye strain.
We're all different.
Might have missed, but have you discussed this with your optometrist.

Mine would be interested in such a conversation.

Out of interest do you close one eye? I have both open. Not suggesting anything just curious

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
I'll weigh in with same cameras, multifocal lenses and never have any issues at all.
I also stare through theodolite telescope often all day with no eye strain.
We're all different.
Might have missed, but have you discussed this with your optometrist.

Mine would be interested in such a conversation.

Out of interest do you close one eye? I have both open. Not suggesting anything just curious

I had to take out my camera and try, because it such an automatic thing I don't think about it. I close my left eye.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
I had to take out my camera and try, because it such an automatic thing I don't think about it. I close my left eye.
Correcting myself here. I think I do it both ways. What I think I am doing is leaving my left eye open but turning the signal from that eye off in my brain (not really, but you know what I mean) unless I have to really concentrate on what I am seeing in my right eye. Then I close my left eye. All of this happens automatically so I don't really think about it.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Correcting myself here. I think I do it both ways. What I think I am doing is leaving my left eye open but turning the signal from that eye off in my brain (not really, but you know what I mean) unless I have to really concentrate on what I am seeing in my right eye. Then I close my left eye. All of this happens automatically so I don't really think about it.
This is normal. both eyes open is the correct way to sight a gun or bow as well. I use both eyes open when shooting fast moving objects with my camera, it's easier to frame them when you can see where they are outside of the viewfinder.

The key is to make sure you're using your dominant eye. There's a quick way to tell.

Hold your hands at arms length a make a single circle with your thumbs and forefingers. Look through it at a distant object. Now, without moving your hands or your head, close one eye, then the other. One of them will have the object centered in the circle, that is your dominant eye. The other eye will have it offset, possibly completely out of the circle.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
This is normal. both eyes open is the correct way to sight a gun or bow as well. I use both eyes open when shooting fast moving objects with my camera, it's easier to frame them when you can see where they are outside of the viewfinder.

The key is to make sure you're using your dominant eye. There's a quick way to tell.

Hold your hands at arms length a make a single circle with your thumbs and forefingers. Look through it at a distant object. Now, without moving your hands or your head, close one eye, then the other. One of them will have the object centered in the circle, that is your dominant eye. The other eye will have it offset, possibly completely out of the circle.
Right eye dominant :)

Regards, C.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom