Eye glass cleaning solution, yes, no, maybe?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dav1dz, Jun 19, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Anyone ever use this stuff on camera lenses?

What's in the camera lens cleaning solution? Chemically.
  2. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Yes, I've used eye glass cleaning solutions for my lenses. I've never had a problem (Just make sure you wipe it down gently and completely to eliminate any possible residue). The stuff inside is usually a combination of alcohol and water.
  3. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    my husband always uses eyeglass wipes on his lenses. i used to worry about it, but he's been doing it for decades and the lenses are all fine.
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Zeiss spray cleaner manufactured for lens use says it is ammonia-free and contains Isopropanol. They caution not to spray directly on the lens. I guess you can mist it on (spray into the air and move the lens into the floating spray) or spray on a cloth. Zeiss also make pre-moistened wipes. This link leads to several options.

Lens & Optics Cleaning | B&H Photo Video

One reviewer says he uses good ole' fashioned breath on a lens along with micro fiber cloth.
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I'm weary about using IPA on lens coatings. The thing is, there's very little that will remove "oils" besides Ammonia or IPA. Dirt and dust usually can come off with distilled water or even a lens pen.
  6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Same here... I only use that to clean my lenses. So far so good :D
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I've always just used breath + micro fiber cloth. But I'm worried that one day I'll need more serious cleaning solution and wouldn't have any around the house. Eye glass cleaner came to mind, I'll have to check its ingredients.
  8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Personally, I prefer ethanol and water solutions. Cheap, rot-gut vodka diluted slightly is a decent source.
  9. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Djarum, the word is wary, not weary. Unless you meant to say that you are tired about using IPA on lens coatingsā€¦ :wink:
  10. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Ever since I read that article showing that a even a cracked front element won't necessarily destroy a photo, I'm a lot less wary (thank you Grammar Nazi) about what I do to a lens. Having said that, I like my toys to have a like-new sheen, so I stick to water/breath and microfibre.
  11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
  12. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Blow me. Remain ignorant.
  13. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Ouch. Suggest both of you edit your posts down from this.