Eye-Fi wireless SD cards?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by phrenic, Sep 13, 2011.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Anyone use them? I have my eye on the Eye-Fi 4GB Connect X2. Curious as to whether it does what it says on the box..to a high degree I suppose.

So if I'm not mistaken, it can connect via wifi to my home PC if it's on, or to an ipad/iphone/smartphone using its own wireless network, or upload to websites like flickr. I was thinking it could be useful when going on vacation; I'd love to have the option to backup my pictures while away. Unfortunately, I don't have the flickr paid account and would be limited to 200 photos. Also, I don't think flickr even saves it at full size jpegs. Anyone use it with picasa or the other supported sites?

I'm also curious as to whether or not you can send it to multiple locations..aka a tablet device, your home ftp server, and flickr for example or if it can only transfer to one destination.

Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Quick reminder: only the Pro version will upload your RAW files.
  3. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I bought one last year. It worked once and that was it. I called tech support was given a few things to try none of which worked. Then they said they'd get back to me. I'm still waiting. I'm stuck with a $100 8gb SDHC card that records images okay but that's it.
  4. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Patience seems to be your virtue ;-)

That was on my list too (when I become rich list) but looks like I'm lucky not being rich yet :biggrin:
  5. JohnMoeleker

JohnMoeleker New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2011
    I use 2 eyefi cards
    Happy with it but slow
  6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Curious, the reviews seem quite good on Amazon.
  7. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    I have the 8Gb pro version. It works well. A little slow to upload the files, but I don't even have to think about it. I turn on the camera and the process starts automatically. Another thing I like is that records the location. It depends if you are in an area covered by Skyhook. If you are, it adds GPS like coordinates to the picture. Very useful with Aperture and "Places".

One thing I noticed: The focus beep in the E-P3 stops working with the Eye-Fi on. There is a menu in settings to turn on-off the wireless in the card. If it's on, the beep of the focus will stop working. I am sure it is a bug that could be fixed by Olympus in a firmware update.
  8. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    I have the 4GB standard. I leave it in the camera when I'm out and about and not expecting to take a lot of photos. It works fine most of the time. I have it set up to connect to my ipod touch so I can upload photos to facebook or do some minor editing.

It will occasionally give me a card error, but usually turning the camera off and on will clear it up. Only once did it fail to clear. I was able to read the card in my laptop and reformat it, but I couldn't take pictures for the rest of the evening. Now I just carry a spare 4gb card with the extra battery in case it happens again.
  9. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    I have one of the older 4GB models, and I love it.

My only complaints are that it's a bit slow to transfer, and it eats a little bit of battery life.

I have not tried a pro-card. It seems like it would take way too long to transfer the much larger raw files.
  10. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    How does its performance compare to Olympus PENPAL? Other then one is WiFi based and the other is bluetooth.
  11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    As an update..I got one. It works well with the PC. Haven't had luck syncing it with either my android phone or ipad..but admittedly haven't tried that hard.

As others have mentioned it is s l o w.
  12. tarya

tarya Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 16, 2011
    Lugano, Switzerland
    To be honest I am just using it as a way to quickly upload pictures online while I'm out and about. It is slow (and I'm uploading only jpgs on my phone). That's why when home I just get the card reader and that's it. I could have spent my money better, but it does have GPS (not a hiker) so that's enough.
  13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

so can someone explain to me how the GPS on it works? Can i simply buy the card and Voila! When ever i take a photo GPS Data is recorded? Or do i need to have a PDA or laptop synced to it for that data to be recorded.
    Also can someone who uses it to transfer Raw images tell me how bad or good it is at that?
    I only shoot in raw and rarely put it in Jpeg Mode..
  14. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    As I understand it, yes voila the gps data is recorded. It uses wi-fi though, so you have to be at (or near) a point. you won't get anything if you're out hiking, for example. AFAIK, at least...
  15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    That is right. It doesnt connect to the wifi signals, but it uses location data that is gathered by the signal locations (I guess wifi signals give out information that makes them relatively identifiable physically). It won't be as exact as a gps, but I assume it'll be correct down to say the street you're on.
  16. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    How does it do for speed. On their website they only say "class 6", but class 6 can go up to 12mbps if it was released before class 10 was implemented. I want to know if it will be able to keep up with the video recording of an EPL1.

17. Danphoto

Danphoto New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2012
    Palenville, NY
    I believe they recommend the Mobile or Pro versions for iOS or Android transfers, and as was mentioned earlier in this thread, only the Pro supports Raw transfers. I'm using a Pro with both iPhone and iPad and it works perfectly.
  18. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I have an 8GB x2 Pro. It's pretty bad for taking on the road because it runs the battery down on my GF1 very quickly (always searching for WiFi and the camera doesn't recognize or control the radio on the card). As I understand it, newer cameras are Eye-fi aware and allow you to turn the radio on and off. My card also went through a few firmware revs where it would completely freeze my GF1 until I did a battery pull. This seems to have been resolved w/ the latest firmware. Not a fun thing to find out on a shoot, though. Lightroom integration is annoying, but still worth doing. You can only import photos into a single folder, and then Lightroom can auto-import that folder, but only into another single folder. You have to then manually create folders in the date structure and move them in after each shoot. When I used to take it out of the house for shoots and rack up maybe 200 RAW files, I had to wait forever for them to transfer when I got home, and keep pushing the shutter button down every few minutes to make sure the camera didn't go to sleep. Also (and just a minor annoyance), the Eye-Fi software STILL doesn't give previews for RW2 files! Only a minor annoyance because I use Lightroom exclusively, but c'mon - it works for every other RAW format :/

All that being said, it's still awesome to use in a studio environment, or for shots around the house where you don't want to be tethered by a cable. The fact that you can shoot, and 10 seconds later have the image appear on your screen is super helpful for knowing exactly what you've got. I tried shooting tethered in the past, but the cable was never long enough - the Eye-fi card totally solved that problem.

I only shoot RAW, so I've never tried the service they have where you auto-upload photos.

As far as posting to multiple locations go, it's really tricky. You can only connect to one local device at a time, and my GF1 can't switch between devices because it's not Eye-fi aware (maybe newer cams can?), so that means I have to have a computer nearby with the Eye-fi software loaded on to switch to a tablet or phone for a few shots and then switch back (when using direct-to-device mode). I don't often carry a computer, so that's pretty annoying. I believe you can have it seek out free hotspots and post to their service only (which then posts to Facebook or Twitter), but again, you have to shoot in JPEG to take advantage of that, which I don't.

In summary, I've found it to be very good for:
    1. Studio work
    2. People who go out, take a few happy snaps in JPEG and want to post them to Facebook right away the way you would with a cameraphone
  19. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Woo hold the phone. I had no idea there was a µ4/3 camera that could shoot tethered. I know my G1 cant, i think, but which one can then?
    I only shoot raw and for studio work, and the few times I'm on location and i am doing a series a shots while set up in one place, i would love to be able to shoot tethered.
  20. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Should have explained that part a little better - I was shooting tethered with my Nikon D90, and then got the Eye-fi card which solved the short cable problem. Eventually I traded in D90 rig and got the GF1 (still happy with that move a year later), but by that time I had no reason to try tethering the GF1 because the Eye-fi card worked great for my studio purposes.

Quick search shows that Lightroom doesn't support it with anything other than Canon and Nikon, but maybe there's other software that does support Panasonic?