Eye-Fi Pro X2 16Gb Sd Card

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by GreenGhost, May 6, 2013.

1. GreenGhost

GreenGhost Mu-43 Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    Peter Liakopoulos
    Has anyone got any current experience with the Eye-Fi Pro x2 16Gb SD card? I am toying with the idea of using it in my Olympus OMD-EM5 in conjunction with an iPad mini for when I travel. Not being overly technical, I have this vision of taking a photo and reviewing on the iPad mini (poor eyesight!!). I can then also use the ipad for storage until I get home to transfer to my iMac. Any comments/experience would be welcome before I do my dough..:smile:

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I use the eye-fi 16gb and have also tried a number of other wifi sd cards.

First of all, all wifi cards are really only suitable for transfering jpegs - they are simply too slow to transfer RAW. This might be a problem for you.

Secondly if your goal is to take a shot and review it 5 seconds later on your ipad mini in order to check that you have got the shot, then the Transcend card may well be best as it has a special mode to generate a 'quasi-tethered' approach to shooting. It is also a lot cheaper than the eye-fi.

If you intend to take a whole bunch of shots and then automatically download them all to your ipad mini when you have finished to review them, then the eye-fi is better suited.

3. GreenGhost

GreenGhost Mu-43 Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    Peter Liakopoulos
    Thanks Rob. I only shoot RAW. I'll take your advice and look into the Transcend. Hadn't heard of it..

4. xmsnx

xmsnx Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Europe
    Would the Transcend card be compatible with the EPL3?

5. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    @Rob - have you used any of the newer class 10 cards for transferring RAW files? I am hearing that they are substantially better and transferring larger raw files is no longer an issue. But you must have a newer body that can actually make use of the speed.

Also debating whether to get an "ez share" card, price is slightly less than eye-fi. The card acts as a wifi server and the phone/iPad "pulls" the pictures instead of them being pushed. That has some distinct advantages. Any software on the phone that can access a web site can access the pictures. That opens up options for automation that are not possible in the other approach (eye-fi and transcend), where the card "pushes" the pictures to special software on the phone. Not sure which approach is power efficient though.

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    To be honest, I think you are rather confused on a couple of issues...

The 'class' of an SD card refers to its read/write speed on the card NOT its 'wifi speed'. So, to an extent you are correct. There was a stage that the only wifi card around worth mentioning was the eye-fi 8gb 'class 6'. 6 refers to its 'minimum' 'read/write' in mb/s. And at the same time you could get Class 10 (++) cards for SD.

(So many who were into say 10 shot continuous wouldnt like the eye-fi card because of its relatively low read/write time.)

As far as wifi transfer rates are concerned I 'personally' find them all about the same at about 1.3mb/s. That means it takes say 3 seconds for a jpeg and 12 seconds for a RAW. It doesnt sound a huge difference but it appears a lot more in reality.

I would also point out that I dont believe that some wifi cards actually have the ability built in to transfer RAW - the Toshiba for instance (I think that from the specs the EP5 only transfers jpeg.)

You are also deeply confused about the functionality of the cards. I have used and own an EZ share wifi card and wouldnt currently recommend it.

'All' cards offer the ability to 'pull' from the camera. The only cards that I know of that can 'push' are 'eye-fi' and to a very limited extent 'Transcend'.

The 'eye-fi' card demands a price premium because (1) it is the only card with true push ability (at the expense of a user friendly 'pull' function I might add) and (2) its compatibility with various apps such as photosmith and shuttersnitch.

(Just to clarify your 'pushing' and 'pulling' comments. The 'eye-fi' is really the only card with 'true' 'push' capability. By definition if it has 'push' capability it has to 'push' to a 'specific destination' - it cant force download pics to any smart pad/phone in its immediate area. So the 'eye-fi card needs to be 'mated' with a particular device to 'push'.

If you are 'pulling' meaning that you are asking the camera 'SD card' for access to that card, the camera owner can decide which device pairs with his camera but 'any' device should have the ability.)

7. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Rob -

I think you are mis reading my comment. My intent in using the term "class" was most certainly with reference to the capabilities of the newer SD+WIFI cards, and was not applied to the wifi transfer speed.

There are many factors that have to come together to give a good transfer rate. The WIFI connection speed is just one and I am not thinking of it in reference to "class". The theoretical max for 802.11n WIFI is 600 Mbps max and even though that is rarely achieved, it is very sufficient to transfer a raw file of 15MB in a few seconds. It should not be the reason for the 1.3 mbps transfer rate that you are seeing. Other factors that could contribute are the class of the SD card that determines the read/write speed, the speed of the CPU on the card, the quality of the software implementations on the SD+WIFI card and the receiving agent (computer, phone, tablet, etc) and even the speed of the writes on the receiving agent (phones have flash memories with notoriously slow writes). Many of the older m43 bodies also do NOT support writing at class 10 rates, so the SD+WIFI card would not get the data quickly in the first place.

Anyway, the reason for asking about the newer class 10 SD+WIFI cards was to get a data point if they had improved their performance in any way. The class 10 designation requires that they support sustained HD video writes, this is not a requirement for the older class 4/6 cards. And with the passage of time, one would hope that the manufacturers would improve other factors (processor, software, wifi) to give a better overall throughput.

On the second issue of push v/s pull methods, not confused about that either. :)

Different usage scenarios may require a different solution. People who want a tethered studio experience may prefer to push all pics to a computer, whereas people who want to pick a few pics for editing and upload to Facebook/Google+ on the go, may prefer a pull experience.

For my needs, I see some distinct advantages to the pull approach. I don't have a lot of capacity on my phone, so I don't want the card to transfer every dud pic I take at 9 fps. Also, this means that I am not locked into some crappy client software to transfer the pics and can pick an alternative of my liking. (browser, open source, write a script, etc). And finally, and this is the kicker, since the card is doing nothing but acting as a web server, there are no restrictions of transfer of JPEG or RAW files. I can transfer any file present on the card. Finally, given the ability to use any software, I can also simulate the push method by writing a script to monitor the files on the card periodically once the wifi link is established.

I wasn't aware that the eyefi/transcend cards also supported the pull approach. That's good to know and worth exploring further. But if it is constrained in any way as you seemed to hint, then that would be a reason not to choose the cards.

8. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Holland
    Joey
    @Robbie36, hi Rob I'm using an g5 and i'm looking for an wifi card to trransfer mi pics directly to mi ipad as use for (semi) thetered shooting. I'm doubting between card and wether to purchase one. eye-fi and transcend (in europe sandisk eye-fi), only transfer jpg. But i mostly only shoot in RAW to be able to tweek it better later on. Can i shoot example: Raw + JPG (low) and transfer the jpg to the ipad?

And what card do you reccommend. eyfi 4g is about 30 euro and 8g about€ 55 both only in class 4 available)

Trancend 16G (class 10) ca. 50 euro an 32g about € 75.

p.s. does anyone know if the lumix link wil work with G5 and eye-fi / wifi card?

9. giCe

giCe Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    I use the eye-fi pro x2 16gb on my OMD. I shoot exclusively in RAW but if/when I need to transfer the image to my ipad/iphone I simply convert the image I want to jpeg in the OMD and it'll automatically send to my ios device. There I can do anything I want with it and also do minor edits in Snapseed.

10. GreenGhost

GreenGhost Mu-43 Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    Peter Liakopoulos
    giCe what's the transfer rate like with RAW files? More so from a practical perspective. What I rally want to know is it reasonable or is the delay frustrating?

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok I slightly misunderstood your point.

Are the Class 10 eye-fi cards better. Yes there has definitely been an improvement since I started using a Class 6 card a year ago. Personally I put this down to an improvement in the software. Eye-fi cards used to be very flakey - they are a lot better now.

As for transfer speeds, I guess it is fair to say that if you are 'pulling' and only selecting a few photos then using 'RAW' is feasible. However, I saw a post a little while ago by a software engineer working with these cards and he had tested all the cards and wifi transfer rates were only about 100mb per minute.

12. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Ireland.
    Hi Robbie. Could you clarify your stance on the EZ Share cards? I read an older review post of yours that seemed to be for the most part quite complimentary.

On the other hand, a lot of their Amazon reviews seem to be fake.

It's quite hard to choose between Eye-fi, Transcend, and whatever other options are available.

13. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I love mine but they are kind of cheaply made.. I'm on #3 already and the little plastic pieces by the contacts have cracked on the last 2.. Still works fine though but I might try the transcend next. I shoot jpg+raw and only use it to transfer jpgs for quick facebook sharing when we're on location

14. optigan

optigan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Andy
    Just got my Eye-Fi Mobi (8gb). Set up to shoot jpgs to my iPhone and it works fine. Easy set up, decent speed. I'm not trying to pass RAW or tether for preview purposes. This is for quick uploading to social networks. BTW I'm using it with my OM-D

15. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I have the Transcend and have been using it for the past week-and-a-half in conjunction with my X-E1. It works just as advertised. I use the in-camera RAW converter then review the JPG file on my iPad mini. When I get home, I download the JPG files via wifi and do some quick edits in LR4 and voila!

16. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    i've been using my 32gb transcend card for about 1.5 weeks as well. i'm very happy with it. i shoot raw + fine lrg jpeg on my ep3. this way i don't have to convert in camera. i can get 1500+ shots on it. transfers on large/fine jpegs takes less than 8 seconds and gets faster if i use the lesser quality jpgs. the smallest jpgs are almost instant. i transfer them via shuttersnitch if that makes any difference.

17. flikmy

flikmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 20, 2011
    hi optigan, were there any issues with the eye-fi mobi card on the omd?
    card read errors and the like...