Eye-fi card

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ripleys baby, May 16, 2012.

1. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Nothing came up in a search, so does anyone use These wireless cards ?
    (if you have a camera that supports the use of)
  2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I have one with my EPL1. I use it to send pics to my phone.

You don't need a camera that supports it explicitly, although that helps save battery life.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have not used them personally, but my understanding is that they are great when they work and that is the problem. Hopefully Giulio will chime in here, as I believe he was trying to use the cards for pseudo-tethered shooting and it didn't go well. They apparently have problems maintaining the wifi connection. I heard the same complaint from Roger Cicala at LensRentals.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ptan55

ptan55 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    Amherst, NY
  5. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    I checked it out, nothing of use in the links. Thanks for wasting my time.
  6. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011

Googled it a while ago thank you very much.
    Just wanted to ask in a forum based on the equipment I use.
  7. creezalird

creezalird Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    i have been using the eyefi x2 with e-p3 for almost half a year and with direct mode, i never need to plug cable or the card. just on my camera and voila...as fast as possible just like with the cable

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    I love how easy it is to use the Eye-Fi card, and how I can take shots of my stuff around my home, and not having to remove my SD card. As long as my wifi network is in range, the picture will be in my PC.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. chiral

chiral Mu-43 Regular

Feb 20, 2012
    I am interested to hear more about Eye-Fi because I recently did extensive googling to find more about it to justify the purchase.

One thing holding me back from buying it right now is people's complaint about automatic transfer of photos that you don't want to keep. Under wifi, all photos in the SD card are transferred, and you have to do the job multiple times to delete bad or test shots from the card, your computer, and Eye-fi Web, according to this review:

Amazon.com: Chris Zee Shutterbug's review of Eye-Fi Pro X2 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Wireless F...

I am not sure how complicated this will be, as I have not used it personally.

One feature makes me really consider the purchase is geotagging. I hoped Olympus would have this feature(GPS) on OM-D.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. creezalird

creezalird Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    btw if u want to buy..buy the latest generation as it will support direct mode to pc/android/ios which is very fast and requires no router/internet.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I got one a couple of weeks ago and would categorise it with words like "amazing" and "cool". Also "not really needed for me" and "a little temperamental". I bought the crippled (no RAW transfer) version because it sounded fun and wasn't too expensive.

Bottom line...

impressive? yes, very (as long as it works)
    useful? maybe in specific applications
    would I buy it again? probably not
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    You never have to transfer all the photos. I have my eye-fi card set up to transfer only the photos that i lock. As long as you use direct mode, rather than going up to the cloud then back down to a computer, it's pretty fast and reliable. That said, it's not the best for battery life. I still use mine in my e-pl1, but I will hold off using it in my e-m5 until i have some spare batteries.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    There are a few ways around this.

You can turn the eye fi off if the firmware supports it. Delete your pics, turn on eye fi and then your pics will transfer.

You can shoot in raw only mode. The pics you want to transfer, you can convert in camera and have only the jpegs transferred.

You can use a camera like the D7000 with two SD slots. Copy over the pics you want transferred to the eyefi card.

You can turn off direct mode transfers on your iPhone until you had time to delete the pictures you didn't want.

Also if you can turn automatic syncing to the web off. You can share manually.

The eyefi app is free. You can see all the features of the direct mode smart phone features before buying the card.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I struggled mightily with the Eye-Fi, getting it to work sporadically while having it inexplicably (for me) failing to connect at other times. I decided that using the iPad camera connection kit was good enough for me on the road, and using an SD card reader for the transfer of RAW images to my iMac was the most efficient process. So I gave up on the Eye-Fi as a good idea with a flawed execution.

Trying to remember where I left it, though - I think it's sitting in the card slot of one of my retired cameras....
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I've used the Eye-Fi cards. They tag well in urban areas but outside of a city are iffy.
    One problem is the cards log Wireless networks not the actual co-ordinates. You had to upload these photos to the great computer in the sky to have the wireless tagging to the GPS co-ordinates. These photos are then downloaded to your computer.

I've started using the iPhone App GPS4Cam when I want location data attached to my photos.
    It is camera independent one outing can be used by any numbers of cameras. It does require you to take a photo of a QR code with each camera and then upload to a computer with a companion software which applies this GPS data to each photo.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    My experience with it has been pretty lousy It worked the first time I tried it and hasn't done anything since. Customer service was helpful at first but then disappeared. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    The latest firmware updates have made it more stable.
  18. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I use my Eye-Fi card all the time. It's a great tool for those into blogging.

I know Giulio is travelling with his OM-D at the moment and posting all of the his photos to Instagram on the go, which is pretty cool.

Various problems popped up when I got mine, but it was all a case of missing something in the process out, the instructions aren't as clear as they should be, but once you pass that hurdle it's totally worth it and works just fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011

Thank you all very much for the info. Prior to asking about these cards on
    this forum i GOOGLED IT. But who better to ask than the users themselves.
    Thank you very much.:2thumbs:
  20. drathquark

drathquark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    I don't have one, contemplated buying one for the geotagging but as lfmerrell said it goes by wireless networks in range rather than actual GPS so if you are out somewhere away from any wifi it doesn't work. Instead I got an app for my android phone to record GPS tracks (logs the GPS co-ordinates on a given time interval) and then import those into aperture, so long as the phone time and the camera time match up it will geotag all the photos taken during the time the GPS was recording.