Eye cup for GF1 viewfinder

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JohnW, Jun 23, 2010.

1. JohnW

JohnW Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm shooting a summer beach project with the GF1, and I'm finding the bright light leaks into the GF1 EVF and washes out the view. I'm thinking one of those rubber funnel eye cups might help. Has anyone managed to fit one of them to the GF1 EVF? Thanks.

John

• Like Like x 1
  2. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    BUMP. I would like to know as well. Just looking at it, I would say the existing eye cup is not detachable by any means that wouldn't cause damage. So, something must be able to fit securely over it.

I just took the circular eye cup with a rectangular base off of an old Canon AE-1 SLR. It's the right size opening (won't fit over). What I did notice is that the added mm's of distance really increase the tunnel vision and make it hard to see the EVF.

Given that result, I'd say that anything that would fit over the LVF1 would need to essentially be flush (or almost flush) in order to maintain a good FOV within the LVF.

3. JohnW

JohnW Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks, Ken. I came to these same conclusion about the current eye piece. Don't want to mess with it. I've learned to live with the EVF as is, though it's far from desirable. Kinda makes me wish I would have gotten the EP-2.

John

4. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    John, for the EVF, I agree. However, on the whole, I prefer my GF-1. It's manual layout / ergonomics are great, it's general operation is faster, screen blackout it minimal, it's very responsive, has a built-in flash for "emergency use" which is nice to have, it has a better LCD for image review and composition when not using the EVF, etc.

In general, I do like the EVF for the GF-1 better than no EVF. Is it perfect? No. Is it functional? Yes. I am glad I have it? Yes. :thumbup: