Extreme lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Olof, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Olof

Olof New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2010
  2. Olof

Olof New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2010
    Also, could someone elaborate on in what way a mirror lens is different? Are they cheaper to make? Worse performance? Why make a mirror lens over a normal lens?

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    They are generally cheaper and shorter in length then a standard tele lens though usually greater diameter. Mirrors are used instead of some lenses to magnify. They often have very strange Bokeh (out of focus areas) including ring highlights.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    they also have a folded optical path making them much shorter than their non mirror lens counterparts for a given focal length, and as lisa points out the out of focus highlights are donut shaped which was very popular decades ago when they were introduced,
    now the bokeh, being ring shaped, is seen as quaint and dated, or worse just plain ugly

but they are sometimes good performers and a great bargain too. i suspect these are t mount lenses or something like that and have designs for full frame.still it is nice to see lens marketed to the m4\3s crowd. i cant wait for the first non olypannyleica lens designed specifically for this format .... this has not really happened yet ...but i have high hopes

• Like Like x 2
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Good to see the MFT mount supported. Apart from the comments above I would add that hand holding even with IS is difficult at these focal lengths and a tripod or monopod is desirable. I had a Sigma 600 for 4/3 which I sold recently. They have a fixed aperture (typically around f8) so need good lighting. I suspect these are manual focus only and the images typically lack saturation and contrast - easily fixed in PP.

Treat it as a bit of fun at that price and you can't go far wrong.

6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Opteka , (they are also marketed under other names)

The image quality look terrible - (see flickr)

and as one guy said on the Bird Forum

"Cut the bottom out of a Coca-Cola bottle and use that as a lens. It would save you a lot of money.and the resolution would be about the same"

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81696

7. ph.

ph. Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    norway
    there are some good mirror lenses too

zeiss, leitz\minolta, nikon and canon made good ones. the minolta 250mm is particularly small.

p.