1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Extracting White Balance information from Olympus cameras?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sgreszcz, Aug 20, 2015.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi there,

I'm trying to use the White Balance functionality with a grey card to try and verify the calibration of an external light/colour meter (actually the Cinemeter II for iPhone http://adamwilt.com/cinemeterii/index.html). This is not super-scientific, but I'm trying to see if they are in the same ballpark.

Is there some way to see the temperature/tint settings that the Olympus camera picks when using Auto WB, or when setting a "one-touch" custom white balance?

I tried tethering my E-M5II using Olympus Capture/Olympus Viewer, or trying to find the information on the camera, but no luck.

The only other way I can think of is to import a shot of the grey card into lightroom/aperture and compare the temp/tint settings for "As Shot" WB there?

The strange thing is that for an example picture, Lightroom 6 might have the "As Shot" WB being Temp: 4100, Tint: +15 and Aperture has Temp: 3951, Tint: +4. I would assume that the "As Shot" WB should be the same as it comes from the same raw file?

Thanks in advance for educating me :)

2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

In Olympus Viewer 3, select Custom WB Setting. The initial value shown is what the camera set automatically.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    This is something that I've been missing from in-camera playback info. Sometimes when you take several shots with auto wb, there might be one that has just the right wb but the next is off. Then if I want to develop a RAW file, which has the wrong WB, in-camera to jpeg for sharing it to Facebook, I have to quess what color temperature that other photo has. It would be handy if I could check that from the playback info where the shutter speed, aperture and ISO information are located.