Extracting White Balance information from Olympus cameras?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sgreszcz, Aug 20, 2015.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi there,

I'm trying to use the White Balance functionality with a grey card to try and verify the calibration of an external light/colour meter (actually the Cinemeter II for iPhone http://adamwilt.com/cinemeterii/index.html). This is not super-scientific, but I'm trying to see if they are in the same ballpark.

Is there some way to see the temperature/tint settings that the Olympus camera picks when using Auto WB, or when setting a "one-touch" custom white balance?

I tried tethering my E-M5II using Olympus Capture/Olympus Viewer, or trying to find the information on the camera, but no luck.

The only other way I can think of is to import a shot of the grey card into lightroom/aperture and compare the temp/tint settings for "As Shot" WB there?

The strange thing is that for an example picture, Lightroom 6 might have the "As Shot" WB being Temp: 4100, Tint: +15 and Aperture has Temp: 3951, Tint: +4. I would assume that the "As Shot" WB should be the same as it comes from the same raw file?

Thanks in advance for educating me :)

2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

In Olympus Viewer 3, select Custom WB Setting. The initial value shown is what the camera set automatically.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    This is something that I've been missing from in-camera playback info. Sometimes when you take several shots with auto wb, there might be one that has just the right wb but the next is off. Then if I want to develop a RAW file, which has the wrong WB, in-camera to jpeg for sharing it to Facebook, I have to quess what color temperature that other photo has. It would be handy if I could check that from the playback info where the shutter speed, aperture and ISO information are located.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.