Extracting Stills from 4K video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've spoke to several photographers who've commented, "why do I need 4K video"? Many of us have heard of pulling a still image from 4K video. Just found this video that shows how easy it is. While this video uses the new Lumix FZ1000, it works just as easy with the GH4.

https://vimeo.com/102191243

• Like Like x 1
  2. kenyee

kenyee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    main issue is the shutter speed is low, so you'll have motion blur...

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    My understanding (from reading; not using) is that if you set the camera up for best video quality the stills may be blurry. But, if you shoot video with higher frame rate, which will look choppy as video, it will give you better stills to extract. Not sure how accurate that is, but it sounded logical when I read it.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've mentioned previously that 4K is going to be great for sports photographers (those who work for a living), as they will be able to take bursts of video and then extract still for publication in newspapers and the like, as well as provide video clips. It can also be used in other similar situations where there's a lot of action going on and capturing the right moment may be difficult. It's not a panacea for everything, but it can be a great tool when used properly.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
  6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I originally thoight that way.

That's not necessarily the case I've experienced. I was shooting with a GH4 at 4K / 30P. Did two tests, one at default setting and one using shutter priority using 1/60th
    I was in Disney and shot a lot of the parades. Neither had any blur issues. Of course, the subject you are filming and its speed will determine how well it works.
    In general the rule of thumb is to use a shutter speed = frame rate or 2X frame rate.

I really like street photography, but lack the personality where I can start shooting someone I don't know. Casually walking, using 4K, I can get some awesome candid shots captured at 30 fps. You can go, frame by frame and get the best shot. Capturing the same in still node leaves the composition to chance.

7. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    If you want to extract a frame from an action scene, like someone running, you will get less blur if you use a fast shutter speed. Otherwise 1/60 or 1/100 can be enough.
    Frames grabbed from 4k footage are perfect for the web. But it doesn't replace normal photography. I see it as an additional tool but I wouldn't shoot 4k video footage instead of taking photographs just to choose the best frame after.
    4k can also be useful for an HD timeline, as it allows you to have some crop advantages.