1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Extracting lens from old cameras?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MegaPixelTravel, May 15, 2011.

1. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    I have two old video cameras that I no longer use. I wondering if it is possible to extract the lenses and use them on a m4/3rd camera (I'm thinking c-mount here).

Camera #1 - Zenith VM6000 which has a 8-45mm f1:1.2 zoom lens with macro

Camera #2 - Minolta XL601 which has Zoom Rokkor-Macro 7.5-45mm f1.7

I tried to unscrew the lenses or pull them out but that didn't work (didn't think it would) my next step is to unscrew the body and see if the lens element will come out.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done something similar etc that could give me some advice.

Background - I have converted a D70s to IR by changing the hot mirror, I have repaired an 80-200 nikkor f2.8 by disassembly and modified an old 2x teleconverter so I'm used to taking apart electronics. But I will never touch another flash - ouchy mama!

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  3. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Yes! they bite don't they????? :rofl:

4. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
  5. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks for the links, so as I suspected it's the distance between the sensor and the back of the lens (or lens hard mount if the back moves) that is the tricky part.

6. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Depending how deep the hole is in the mount like my M42 mount has quite abit of depth to it, looks exactly the same to this one:

Its just finding a C mount that has quite abit of depth to it, the thread dont look that big on the lens I took off the Voigtlander camera heres some pics:

[​IMG]

7. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Ive just measured the diameter of the thread on the lens and its about 0.8 inches which is 20.23 mm but I cant find a mount that is the same size on the net hmm.
    I'll buy a C mount and wait for it to come and see if its big enough. Does anyone know what mount could fit it other than a C mount as it looks quite small on the net its hard to tell.

8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The Minolta is a Super-8 camera, so the frame size is much smaller than u43.

The Video camera is "probably" 1/2" or smaller sensor. You will get a lot of vignetting.

9. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Lots of people are putting 6mm cmount lenses on the gh2 and using the new 1 to 1 cropping to cut off the vignetting. So if you have a gh2 you may be good to go!

10. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah I'm thinking that too, but I would also like a wide for photos as well.

11. Pat Donnelly

Pat Donnelly New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2010
    Video camera

With an in built lens, there is a large gap between the end of the lens structure and the sensor. To get infinity focus will require almost a bellows.

I took one apart. Never again! Until the c mounts get extortionate, anyway!