Extracting hi res images from video -- easiest route from Oly gear?

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott
Don't know if this is the right place for this and don't know if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum . . .

I have OMD EM5 and OMD EM5II. I know that Pany has a slick on-camera facility to grabbing 8 meg stills from video. Is there a similar solution for Oly? Note: I don't have lightroom and don't plan to get it.

Cheers, Jock

SVQuant

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Sameer
Don't know if this is the right place for this and don't know if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum . . .

I have OMD EM5 and OMD EM5II. I know that Pany has a slick on-camera facility to grabbing 8 meg stills from video. Is there a similar solution for Oly? Note: I don't have lightroom and don't plan to get it.

Cheers, Jock
If you click the shutter while shooting video, you can capture a still at that point.

AFAIR, Windows Movie Maker has a Snapshot button which can be used to take an image of the current frame. You need to have the preview window at 100% to get a full size still.

TonyVentourisPhotography

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tony
Here is a link to the steps to do that snapshot in your software. The still will also only be as large as the video format you shot in. Create Video Notebook: Extracting Photos from Video Using Windows Movie Maker

Just remember... taking a still during video stops the video recording and then restarts it. So you split the file, but also lose whatever moment happened during the still capture.

SVQuant

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Sameer
WOA! TOTALLY COOL! I didn't realize that. Is it in the manual?

As an engineer, I am way impressed they can do that, given the processing demands of video recording.
It is in the manual (p22 for the E-M1). But the recording stops, a still is recorded and a new recording starts. In my experience, no frames are dropped though I don't know if this is guaranteed.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom