Extracting hi res images from video -- easiest route from Oly gear?

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by Jock Elliott, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Don't know if this is the right place for this and don't know if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum . . .

I have OMD EM5 and OMD EM5II. I know that Pany has a slick on-camera facility to grabbing 8 meg stills from video. Is there a similar solution for Oly? Note: I don't have lightroom and don't plan to get it.

Cheers, Jock

2. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Washington DC
    Tony
    Most video editing software should be able to pull a frame grab... what software do you use for video?

3. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Right now I am just using Windows Movie Maker.

Cheers, Jock

4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    If you click the shutter while shooting video, you can capture a still at that point.

AFAIR, Windows Movie Maker has a Snapshot button which can be used to take an image of the current frame. You need to have the preview window at 100% to get a full size still.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Washington DC
    Tony
    Here is a link to the steps to do that snapshot in your software. The still will also only be as large as the video format you shot in. Create Video Notebook: Extracting Photos from Video Using Windows Movie Maker

Just remember... taking a still during video stops the video recording and then restarts it. So you split the file, but also lose whatever moment happened during the still capture.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Top Veteran

WOA! TOTALLY COOL! I didn't realize that. Is it in the manual?

As an engineer, I am way impressed they can do that, given the processing demands of video recording.

7. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    It is in the manual (p22 for the E-M1). But the recording stops, a still is recorded and a new recording starts. In my experience, no frames are dropped though I don't know if this is guaranteed.

upload_2017-10-11_11-57-43.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew