Extra battery?? GH3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by TEAM KEN, Dec 25, 2013.

1. TEAM KEN

TEAM KEN Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 26, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Merry Christmas to all.

OK.
    I have a GH3 battery grip on my list to purchase.
    Any suggestions for the best battery..Pany?? ebay??
    Never used off brand with my Nikon gear.
    Just wanted some suggestions from the Pany group,, before I proceed.

Many thanks in advance for any reply.
    Ken

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Ken, I think go for the Panasonic brand.

3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Sometimes the battery level indicator will not work unless you have a Panasonic battery installed. You pay a lot more, but IMO the Panasonic batteries have a longer lifetime (number of charge/discharge cycles). I am still using the original Panasonic batteries I purchased with my GF1. My wife purchased an extra battery for her Panasonic P&S camera. I don't recall the brand. It no longer will recharge, but the Panasonic one is still going strong.

4. veesalo

veesalo New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2013
    North Europe
    I have ebay "Patona" brand battery as extra. Just shot 450 stills and about 15min video before it was empty. It works just like genuine panasonic battery.

5. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-...&qid=1388075686&sr=8-1&keywords=gh3+batteries

For my Panasonic GX1 and LX7 I have purchased the equivalent of the kit above, and before moving to Panasonic from Canon I used 'off brand' batteries from Amazon for my Canons too. I have and use a few GX1 bodies regularly and have several batteries, all the originals plus 6 Wasabi extras.

Two of the Wasabi batteries were just put into service, but the other four are about a year old and have worked well. They might have a bit less power and/or longevity, but I'm not certain that's the case, they seem to work well for me.

I number my batteries and use them in order as much as possible, so they all receive similar charges and uses over time. I like that the Wasabi kit comes with a charger that's good for both A/C & D/C charging.

6. TEAM KEN

TEAM KEN Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 26, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Thanks everyone for the comments.
    I happened to be on Amazon, and pulled the plug on a pair of Wasabi 's for the GH3 .( Great price)
    I will give them a go, and let you know how they work out.
    I;ve used them in my Canon G12 with great success .
    Cheers, to everyone.
    Ken

7. stimilek

stimilek Mu-43 Rookie

I have/had original Panasonic and no name batteries on FZ30, FZ50, G1, GF-1, G6 and I can say all of them work very similar.

8. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    one issue i found with using 3rd party batteries with the GH3 + Grip is that sometimes the preview wont work or the camera in video mode with just shutoff. I resolved this by moving the switch to off on the grip which only disables the buttons but still uses the battery. I flick on when just shooting stills. I dont really preview stills very often but even then you can still switch it off.