Extra battery for E-PL2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by _BG_, Feb 10, 2014.

1. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Hi all,

In April I'll be visiting Riviera Maya in Mexico as part of my honeymoon and, since I only have the original battery that came with my E-PL2, I'm thinking in buying one or two extra batteries because I'm be a taking alooooooooot of pictures :tongue:

After a bit of search I found these options:

Jupio: http://www.cameranu.nl/en/accus-en-...ympus-ps-bls5-accu-merk-jupio/h201_102_166804

PowerPlanet: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerPlanet...&qid=1388597824&sr=8-1&keywords=bls-5+battery

MaximalPower: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MaximalPowe...&qid=1388597833&sr=8-1&keywords=bls-5+battery

Anyone has any opinion about any of theses brands/batteries or any other recommendations?

BTW, I prefer buying within Europe, to avoid the ridiculous high custom taxes applied in Portugal to outside Europe purchases...
  2. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    I've bought non original batteries from here in the past and they've always been ok & a lot cheaper than the originals. My son has also used them for his spare Camera batteries with no probs.

The 3 spare batteries I bought for my Canon DSLR are 3 years old now, one packed in last year but the other two are still going strong, they last for ages before needing a re-charge and I've used them in the freezing cold of Iceland in late autumn and the heat of 2 Andaulcian summers. I'll be needing some spares for my olympus soon so I'll be going back there to get them.

3. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

The Maximal Power battery I got for my E-PL2 eight months ago still works fine. I alternate use with the original Olympus battery. I haven't noticed any capacity difference between the two.

4. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    My generics don't last as long as the original, but otherwise they're fine (and like you said are a fraction of the price).
  5. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    I am currently using the Wasabi Power batteries. I haven't had any problems with them yet and the folding, aftermarket charger you get with the batteries are worth the price alone.
  6. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Hummm, another option to consider. Thanks mate :)

I've read nice reviews about these, and your opinion is appreciated, thanks :)

What generic brand are you using?

Yes, they seem good too, but extremely hard to find in Europe so I've read and confirmed through a Google search...

Do all these replacement batteries show the charge info on camera screen like the original one?

Sent from my GT-I9300
  7. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
  8. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    Mine do. I believe it is an in-camera meter that reads the voltage coming from the battery, so I am pretty sure it will show the charge info with any battery.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I've got some wasabi batteries that work well.