External Viewfinder for GX1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by xdayv, Jan 13, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Lately, I've felt using the built-in viewfinder of the G3 more and more, and felt in a way that GX1 needs one.

I'm planning to get the LVF2 viewfinder, are there any other worthy alternatives?

What are your experiences with the LVF2?

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I like the LVF2 viewfinder on the GX1 a lot. Nice clear image. Lately I just leave it on the camera, unless I need it to be super portable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Same here. The LVF2 is very nice to use, better than just about any other that I've tried (including LVF1, G3, GH2, G5, E-M5, NEX-6.)

The last part of your post has led me to consider whether I need "super portability" often enough. I like the idea of an extremely compact setup (with a 14mm, 20mm, 14-42x) more than my actually usage would suggest. When I don't have the LVF2, I miss it ... a lot. As such, I am now testing a G5 and an E-M5 against my GX1/LVF2. Two will go.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wow, you like it more than the EM5? I've only tried the EM5 in a store a few times, but I was very impressed. Very life-like. Must be a faster refresh rate or something. The only thing that disappointed me was - it seemed a bit smaller than the Panasonic finders.

I will take the LVF2 off in a situation where I am afraid it might get knocked around and knocked off or damaged. If I am putting the camera in a jacket pocket for example. Or if I am going to be using the LCD anyway and want to be less visible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One thing I do not like about the GX-1 and it's viewfinder, the LVF2, is that it is model specific! At least Olympus has made their viewfinders common to ALL models. I was thinking about getting the GX1 but after seeing that it used a specific viewfinder I was turned off. With my Olympus gear when I move to a newer body I can still use my VF-2. When the GX-2 comes out it will use the new LVF-3???

6. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    +1 on the high quality of the LV2

I use the LV2 on my GX1 and find it very useful including the ability to tilt it upward at various angles. The image quality is very nice.

Highly recommended!

Dan

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think you misunderstood. It is the new standard Panasonic viewfinder. I am sure it will work on all future Panasonic models that don't have a built-in VF except the smaller GF ones. It will also work on the LX-series compacts. The previous finder worked on the previous GF models, GF-1 and GF-2. Unfortunately, Panasonic made a decision to make that viewfinder pretty poor and small compared to Olympus, so they had to upgrade it now because it was getting ridiculous.

I know some people think GX-2 will have a built-in viewfinder. That would kind of leave all the LVF2 owners out in the cold. I doubt it will happen though. Even if Panasonic releases a rangefinder style model with built-in VF
    , they will continue making models without it that also will still accept the LVF2. That's what Sony is doing now.

8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The size difference is a big part of it for me. I feel a little more like I have to get my eye in close to see the small screen inside a box with the E-M5. That said, I just started playing with the E-M5 and just turned on the faster refresh rate (found it in the menus), so that may be a big selling point.

9. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I looked at it but can't justify it's expense. I tend to use the touch to focus feature for most shots now.. I can only see it being useful for manual focus and used my G3 for that purpose before selling my legacy glass. G3 is being sold too now..

10. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    My viewfinder is never off my GX1, nothing worse then trying to see a rear lcd screen in bright sun, plus with the dioptre adjustment no need to put a pair of specs on just to see the screen

Also have the option to take it off when I wast to put it in my pocket

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That was my experience with my GX1 & LVF2. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I agree, the up to 90-degree vertical tilt of the LVF2 is a nice feature. It's something built-in viewfinders don't offer, and possibly a more interesting feature for some compositions than a rotating LCD [I do like an articulating LCD]. Though I've only had the LVF2 a short time, I'm thinking of getting another for my second body so both cameras operate identically.

One negative is that you can't use a hot-shoe flash with the LVF2 mounted.

Below is another, older thread I found helpful before making my decision to buy the viewfinder.

https://www.mu-43.com/f43/how-many-use-electronic-viewfinder-gx1-30956/

• Like Like x 1
  13. smiclalef427

smiclalef427 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    Works well on my LX7 too!

• Like Like x 1
  14. jackwolf

jackwolf New to Mu-43

Dec 12, 2012
    the lvf2 is certainly more useful than the built in evf on the g series due to the 90 degree flexibility.. only annoying factor is the lack of auto switch between the lvf2 and the LCD.. but I am still very happy to have one on my lx7.. always on it..

• Like Like x 1