External VF Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kpfeifle, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Hello All:
    Thinking about getting an external VF (either a VF2 or VF4) for my E-PL5. My question is, what happens to the back screen when the VF is plugged in? There does not seem to be an off position when you cycle through with the Info button, so is the screen always off with the VF in or does it work the same as it does now (with no way to turn it off). Many thanks!

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The button is on the VF.
  3. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Excellent! Thank you very much.

4. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    When you go into menus with the VF-2 it will kick you back out to the LCD screen.
  5. pourdad

pourdad New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2013
    I also have a E-pl5. Does the VF-4 offer significant advantages over the VF-3? If I spend more on the viewfinder, I have to make a financial tradeoff somewhere else. If I'm willing to be patient, How much do you think Olympus will discount their EVFs over the next 6 months? I've noticed they are always running sales on accessories, but haven't figured out where the bottom is. Should I wait until Black Friday?
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The VF4 is the best in performance but will require a firmware update for your model. The eye sensor will not work on your model however.

The VF2 is the next best in regards to image quality but it does not lock and tends to pivot too easily. The diopter is also easy to accidentally adjust which will freak you out the first time it happens{everything is out of focus!:eek:}.

The VF3 is the cheapest model and has the lowest image quality but they corrected the issues that I listed for the VF2.

I can see the VF4 getting down as low as $225 when we get close to Christmas. This time next year it might even be under $200 for a refurbished one.
  7. ianmatlock

ianmatlock New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2013
    Brilliant image

I am new to CSC and M4/3 but i had been looking at VF-2 &3's for a while. In the UK i found the VF-4 from Bristol cameras for only a little less than the VF3 new and not a lot more than the used price for the same on ebay.
    Had it a week now and its stunning, certainly as good as my wife's Canon DSLR viewfinder in terms of brightness and clarity. no refresh issues on the EPL3 and great for my manual lenses. If you are looking I would wait and get the VF-4. It's worth it.