External shutter releases

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MSnap, Jun 1, 2013.

  1. MSnap

    MSnap Mu-43 Regular

    Apr 27, 2013
    Could anyone tell me what the most common type of external shutter release is? I gather that Canon uses the same sort as many other manufacturers? Does anyone know what the name of the socket used is, and how it is wired up? I'm just interested in the pins that relate to the actual shutter press, not any extended protocol stuff.

    It's not for a camera project, just something else I want to use a shutter release with; hence I want to chose the right sort.

  2. swampduck

    swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

    Mar 29, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    It is usually a plug on the side of the body, hidden behind a rubber cover. And looks like a headphone jack
    Canon uses a mini(2.5mm) jack. But you have to make sure you get a release that is compatible with your camera. The Panasonic's also use a 2.5mm.

    Alternatively, as I am sure some here will point out...get a wireless release, and don't worry about it.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.