1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

External mic with the em5 mark 2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Olivier1559, May 9, 2016.

1. Olivier1559

Olivier1559 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2016
    Whitehorse, Canada
    Hello,

I just got a Rode Micpro Go. It is not powered.
    Can you guys share your setting with an external mic?
    I am having trouble keeping the background noise low.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks guys.

2. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    You need to keep the mic input on the camera as low as possible, since the preamp is noisy. There are a number of YouTube videos with guys showing the pre-amp noise with and without mics, etc... and this is not just true for your camera, but common across most.

You are going to struggle no matter what you do unless you get a mic with a built-in preamp (VideoMic Pro or similar) that will boost the input and give you a strong signal to allow turning down the camera input as much as possible. Without a boost in signal before the camera input, you cannot resolve the issue.

Moving up a step is to get an entry level recorder and sync the sound in post. I sometimes use also use an H2N recorder, feeding the mic into it directly... especially in quieter environments where the noise would become more apparent. An H1n or similar are also good alternatives, very small/inexpensive and you will notice an immediate improvement in sound quality. Syncing the audio is relatively simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I wish this was more common knowledge. When I first started doing videos with my E-P5, I knew I wanted better than the built-in microphone. I bought Olympus's microphone input adapter and the amp was quite noisy, with two different microphones. I ended up getting a Zoom H1 and it's incredibly clean audio by comparison, didn't cost much more than the Olympus adapter, and it's more convenient since I don't have to be tethered to the camera.

If most camera's mic amps sound like that, it's odd that reviewers complain when a camera doesn't have a mic input (or a monitoring headphone plugin). If you're serious about audio enough that you want to use an external mic, you're probably better off with an external recorder than trying to patch audio into your camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Mark, I agree and did the same as you with my original E-M5. In fact, the flip out screen, mic input and upgraded video were big drivers for me to buy the E-M5II.

As you know, you can reduce the noise/hiss with many noise reduction features/plugins, but I find it often more work than I care to invest for the family shooting I do.

I think the issue is that most of us here (at least most Olympus folks?) take video as a secondary function coming from mostly stills backgrounds (maybe just because it's there and we start playing). As we progress, we begin to realize why those that go for GH4's and all the trapping of bigger video gear setups do so.

While not without room for improvement, I continue to enjoy the journey and keep finding m4/3 the perfect system for me.

... and btw, I've watched most of your videos and subscribed when you started the channel. Did you come into video later as well? Your YouTube videos are very well done from content and present to lighting/audio. Great job.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Thanks. Yeah, video production is somewhat new to me, though I have previously done some editing and voice over work in a previous job. Recording, lighting, sound are all new concepts for me, so it took me a few tries to get it right :)