External Live Viewfinder

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PENpal, Nov 6, 2011.

1. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Is anyone using a Panasonic External LVF on a PEN camera? It may be helpful when using manual focus lenses. I see the big price difference with the Oly LVF.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'd be surprised if they're compatible.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm pretty sure they're not compatible. The ports may be the same physical design, but they have different electronics.

Besides, the Panasonic LVF is really low resolution (202k dots) compared to the two Olympus VFs (VF-2 is 1.44 million dots, and VF-3 is 906k dots). Would it even be worth such small savings for that much of a drop in quality, even if it were possible to fit?

In fact, I don't think it even is cheaper.. the Oly VF-3 has a cheaper list price than the Panasonic LVF. Only the high res Oly VF-2 is more expensive, as expected.

Oly VF-3 (906k dots) = $179.00
    Panny LVF-1 (202k dots) = $199.00
    Oly VF-2 (1.44 million dots) = $279.00

I see no reason to desire the poorer choice that Panasonic offers. ;)

The new LVF-2 being introduced by Panasonic will be 1.44 million dots, like the Olympus VF-2. No word on price yet, though. When that happens, both Olympus and Panasonic users will have a choice of a more expensive 1.44 million dot EVF, or a cheaper lower-res EVF... except the lower res Oly will still be much better than the lower res Panny. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    doesnt work, i have a lvf on my gf1 and the evf on my epl1, they are physically impossible to switch on the bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    No wonder there are no third party manufacturers for this like what we have for lens adapters. I may just either go to an eye doctor or wait for a big price drop in the near future. My EPL1 works great and is for keeps:smile: