1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

External Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave Jenkins, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I found one-terabyte external hard drives on sale at Costco today for $59.95, so I snapped one up.

Brought it home and connected it, via its USB-3 cord, to my Dell laptop running Windows 7, then tried to copy and paste a large folder into it. It copied a few of the sub-folders, but not completely, then nothing.

I must have done something wrong, but not sure what. Any help will be appreciated.

2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    It's very possible that the laptop USB port couldn't provide enough current to power up the external drive. I assume your USB HDD has no power adapter but only powered by the USB cable.

Try to connect to your desktop and see if it works well when copying big files. Basically you can try the other USB ports on your laptop too, but it is very hard to get it working well.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What other things were plugged into the laptop? Was it running on AC power or just battery? Is it a portable or desktop HD? The two suggestions I would look at right off the bat are loose cable connection (either at the laptop or the HDD), or not enough power. I am running a 1TB external from an X60 without a problem.