1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

External Flash

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jasta01, Oct 18, 2012.

1. jasta01

jasta01 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Manila Philippines
    What Flashguns do you think will be good for Lumix G3 wherein i can use my camera's pop-up flash as a trigger when OFF the camera.

Metz 44 AF-1 or Nissin Di446 or Yongnuo 460 II

Thanks!

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    You're probably out of luck. Your pop-up flash will "preflash" to measure exposure IIRC and then fire for real. The remote flash will trigger on the preflash. I went through this hassle with a G1 and a 48 AF1.

Option 1: Turn the remote flash power down far enough that it can fire twice. Not very satisfying.

Option 2: Buy a cheap hotshoe flash and use it for the trigger. You won't get a preflash with this setup. A little clunky, but cheap. My trigger flash cost me around $12 IIRC. Don't buy an old used one, though, unless you are sure that it has a low-voltage trigger.

Option 3: Buy a radio trigger set. Choices range from cheap (Cactus) to expensive (PocketWizard). I have no experience with any of them.

Search here for "preflash" and Google for "voltage flash trigger" for more.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Double check as some of those flashes can be configured to ignore the pre-flash.

Yongnuo 460 II for sure has 'intelligent' slave mode to ignore pre-flashes.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Interesting. No one ever mentioned that kind of capability to me before. I'll check it out. I guess that could be a very attractive Option 4.

Edit: RobWatson, I just downloaded the 460 II user manual and it isn't very clear to me. Is the mode you're talking about the "S2" mode? That's a pretty neat feature to be so obscurely documented.