1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

External Flash Woes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by zpierce, Apr 15, 2011.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I bought an Olympus FL-36 second hand last year. I haven't used it a ton, but I feel like either I'm not using it properly, or it's not working properly with my camera. I have a GH2, and I swear the TTL function doesn't work. My understanding is that that should fire a test flash and meter through the lens on the camera, yielding a more or less properly exposed photo. I just spent the night photographing an indoor fair at my kid's school tonight and it seemed like I had to more or less manually adjust it for every shot. For starters, I had it on TTL Auto all night, four thirds mode, and every shot required anywhere from +1.3 to +3.0 stops of adjustment on the flash. I was aiming it generally at a diagonal to the ceiling, but I thought that shouldn't matter as the TTL should meter whatever it sees. Furthermore, at one point I decided to drop the ISO from 1600 to 800, and the pictures got much darker, I had to compensate a full stop on the flash. That led me to believe the TTL wasn't working at all?? Am I missing something here? I've certainly gotten good flash pics with it, but it always seems to take 2-3 shots with adjustments of the output to get 1 good shot.

Thanks as always for any advice!

2. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Hello ZPierce,
    I have almost the same problem sometime with my FL36R. I have the problem on my EP-2 and on the E30. Never had it on the E420.
    I have the impression that the contacts corroding a little, when i have the problem i just use a simple "eraser" (i hope this is a English word) to go a few times over the contacts in de "flashfoot" and the problem is solved for a few days.

There exist also special brushes to clean electronic contacts bud my system works ok for me.
    Also be sure the flash is all the way in de the camera foot.

grtz
    Jean

edit: eraser is "hard" type to erase inkt on paper

3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    That's way too simple to work :) Thanks, I'll definitely give it a try!

4. Doesn't TTL only work for direct flash? I thought that as soon as you tilt the head to use bounce flash you need to set the flash on manual.