External Flash Suggestions for G5?

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
Other than the expensive Panasonic flashes, are there any other flash units you would recommend? I was looking at the Metz 44 AF-1, Vivitar DF 383 and Bower SFD9260.

gnb40

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Gary
You can use the Olympus flashes. I picked up 2 used fl-36r's for $125.00 each. These are the same as the Panasonic FL-360. The "r" models feature remote control. If you don't need that, you can pick up the FL-36 for $75.00 to $95.00. The biggest complaint is that it only uses 2 AA batteries so recycle time is a little on the long side. These will give you full TTL auto as well as manual.

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
You can use the Olympus flashes. I picked up 2 used fl-36r's for $125.00 each. These are the same as the Panasonic FL-360. The "r" models feature remote control. If you don't need that, you can pick up the FL-36 for $75.00 to $95.00. The biggest complaint is that it only uses 2 AA batteries so recycle time is a little on the long side. These will give you full TTL auto as well as manual.

Thanks! I hadn't thought about Olympus flashes. Are they fully compatible with Panasonic bodies? Will there be some functions I would loose?

gnb40

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Gary
The last Panasonic I owned was the G3. It didn't have the remote capability... not sure about the G5. Everything else worked perfectly. I'm not sure who really made the fl-36 and fl-50 but they are the same flashes as the FL-360 and FL-500, just different names on them. I actually had used these with my Canon equipment too (in manual mode).I do a lot of manual flash (with cheap eBay radio sync units). These are very easy to adjust in manual mode and small enough that I could carry 2 in the space of 1 Canon flash.

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
The last Panasonic I owned was the G3. It didn't have the remote capability... not sure about the G5. Everything else worked perfectly. I'm not sure who really made the fl-36 and fl-50 but they are the same flashes as the FL-360 and FL-500, just different names on them. I actually had used these with my Canon equipment too (in manual mode).I do a lot of manual flash (with cheap eBay radio sync units). These are very easy to adjust in manual mode and small enough that I could carry 2 in the space of 1 Canon flash.

I wonder if I can use my Nikon SB800 Speedlight on my G5?

jziegler

Mu-43 Veteran
If you cover the hot shoe contacts other than the center pin, it should work fine in manual mode. It would also work fine on a radio trigger. The TTL system is not compatible across systems, and I don't know if the contacts are in the same position or could even cause damage, which is why you;d want to cover the other contacts.

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
If you cover the hot shoe contacts other than the center pin, it should work fine in manual mode. It would also work fine on a radio trigger. The TTL system is not compatible across systems, and I don't know if the contacts are in the same position or could even cause damage, which is why you;d want to cover the other contacts.

Thanks! Sounds too risky to attempt. I'll keep looking for an alternative flash.
One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I would like a swivel head for bounce flash capability as well.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
I shoot a Metz 50 AF-1. I get good results but it is bulky on the small G5 and feels unbalanced.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/8420639278/" title="P1020567-2 by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr">
8420639278_72a7e5b289_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"640" height="427" alt="P1020567-2"></a>

yehuda

Mu-43 Veteran
To put this in context, your typical full featured bounce AND swivel 4AA flash is ungainly on any m43 camera. Heck, from my experience these flashes are ungainly on larger aps-c dslr. My case in point - Nikon D7000 with SB700.

Have you considered giving up the swivel and only having up/down bounce?
If so, I recommend the Metz 24.
For anything indoors up to a moderately sized restaurant it's fine!
Highly recommended, much smaller and cheaper.
Just don't forget to dial up +0.7 flash compensation when bouncing.

ThomD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a Metz (54 I think). Works fine. I would not buy a flash that did not swivel. I use the swivel all the time indoors to bounce off walls or bounce in portrait orientation. The newer 52 has a touch screen, which might be easier to use than the more common LCD with cryptic buttons, but I see the 44 has better buttons than mine. I don't think the 44 has high speed flash sync.

Yes, it looks funny on a G2, but it isn't too awkward. Make sure you get the Pany/Oly version if you get a Metz - they make versions for different camera makers.

colinhester

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Colin Hester
Other than the expensive Panasonic flashes, are there any other flash units you would recommend? I was looking at the Metz 44 AF-1, Vivitar DF 383 and Bower SFD9260.

Thanks for asking! Just tuned in looking for the answer to this question. Took my G5 out for a club shoot this past weekend with models in a difficult lighting situation. I was able to salvage a few keepers, but a flash sure would have helped.

trmiv

New to Mu-43

I haven't used it on a G5, but I have a Metz 44 AF-1 for my Sony DSLR (well, SLT) and it's a great flash for the money. I've been really happy with the results right out the box after getting it last week.

scott

Mu-43 Veteran
I have two Olympus FL-50s that I use with my G5s. Everything works great so far, and they seem a lot sturdier than either of my other flashes (Zeikos FL-70 and a Yongnuo YN460ii that I use as a slave with my macro setup).

Latest threads

Top Bottom