External Flash - Pana DMC-G5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Vicky, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Vicky

Vicky Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Hi everyone!

As an amateur photographer, I most of the time shoot outside.
    Being very interested in studio-photography, I subscribed for a workshop in 10 days.

The intstructor is not at all familiar with µ4:3 systems, and asked me if it was possible to put on an external flash.
    So I know the Pana DMC-G5 has a flash hot shoe, but do I need to buy a converter or anything to make a 'normal' external flash fit the hot shoe? Or is it only possible to connect special µ4:3 flashes on to the camera? Or am I worrying about nothing and is the hot shoe on my camera just a normal one?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Belgium!

2. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Hi.
    The Panasonic G5 hot shoe is a normal one. No need for adapters.
    I hate to use flash, but I have a Yongnuo 560 II and it works well on my G5.

3. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Nope, you're fine. It's an ISO-compliant hotshoe, so whatever radio triggers they're using to set off remote lights should work fine on the mft hotshoe. You can also use most ISO-compliant flashes (as long as the sync voltage is low (i.e., below 10V--most digital-era flashes should be fine); however, you'll only get the fancier flash features (TTL [automatic power setting based on metering], FP/HSS [focal plane flash/high-speed sync, ability to use a shutter speed over 1/160s on the G5] with a four-thirds specific flash, such as the Panasonic FL-360L (aka Olympus FL-600R), because those features require camera/flash communication.

The only radio triggers I know of that won't work well with MFT hotshoes are the Yongnuo RF-603 (Mk I) triggers, because they autosense whether they're on a flash or on a hotshoe by using a TTL signal that's Canon-or-Nikon specific, and on the MFT or Fuji X hotshoe, the trigger never received that signal, so it would never switch to transmitter mode. The RF-603 MkIIs fixed this issue by getting a switch that lets you explicitly set a unit to transmitter (Tx) mode.

You'll only need a hotshoe adapter if they're using PC (Prontor-Compur) sync cables to fire remote flashes, since your camera doesn't have a PC sync port (neither do most entry-level dSLRs, like Canon's dRebels or Nikon's D3x00/D5x00 bodies, so you won't be the only one). And in that case, it's a simple matter to find a camera hotshoe-to-PC sync adapter.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Vicky

Vicky Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Worked like a charm :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.