External Flash - Pana DMC-G5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Vicky, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Vicky

Vicky Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Hi everyone!

As an amateur photographer, I most of the time shoot outside.
    Being very interested in studio-photography, I subscribed for a workshop in 10 days.

The intstructor is not at all familiar with µ4:3 systems, and asked me if it was possible to put on an external flash.
    So I know the Pana DMC-G5 has a flash hot shoe, but do I need to buy a converter or anything to make a 'normal' external flash fit the hot shoe? Or is it only possible to connect special µ4:3 flashes on to the camera? Or am I worrying about nothing and is the hot shoe on my camera just a normal one?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Belgium!

2. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Hi.
    The Panasonic G5 hot shoe is a normal one. No need for adapters.
    I hate to use flash, but I have a Yongnuo 560 II and it works well on my G5.

3. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Nope, you're fine. It's an ISO-compliant hotshoe, so whatever radio triggers they're using to set off remote lights should work fine on the mft hotshoe. You can also use most ISO-compliant flashes (as long as the sync voltage is low (i.e., below 10V--most digital-era flashes should be fine); however, you'll only get the fancier flash features (TTL [automatic power setting based on metering], FP/HSS [focal plane flash/high-speed sync, ability to use a shutter speed over 1/160s on the G5] with a four-thirds specific flash, such as the Panasonic FL-360L (aka Olympus FL-600R), because those features require camera/flash communication.

The only radio triggers I know of that won't work well with MFT hotshoes are the Yongnuo RF-603 (Mk I) triggers, because they autosense whether they're on a flash or on a hotshoe by using a TTL signal that's Canon-or-Nikon specific, and on the MFT or Fuji X hotshoe, the trigger never received that signal, so it would never switch to transmitter mode. The RF-603 MkIIs fixed this issue by getting a switch that lets you explicitly set a unit to transmitter (Tx) mode.

You'll only need a hotshoe adapter if they're using PC (Prontor-Compur) sync cables to fire remote flashes, since your camera doesn't have a PC sync port (neither do most entry-level dSLRs, like Canon's dRebels or Nikon's D3x00/D5x00 bodies, so you won't be the only one). And in that case, it's a simple matter to find a camera hotshoe-to-PC sync adapter.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Vicky

Vicky Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Worked like a charm :)