External flash on GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by fluberman, Jan 17, 2013.

1. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    As far as I know, GX1 can have sync speed up to 1/160 s, but I wonder everytime I take some shoots with Olympus FL-50 attached on the hotshoe the shutter speed is limited only to 1/60 s.

FL-50, TTL mode
    Aperture priority (I tried different values, from f/1.4 to f/8)
    Auto ISO (the camera gives ISO 160)

If I use an Olympus DSLR E-620, the shutter speed varies up to 1/160 s.

I'm a newbie regarding flash photography, so maybe anybody here can give me some light :)

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    What happens if you put the FL-50 into FP-TTL or FP-Manual mode?

3. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    I will check when I get home and have access to the flash...

4. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I can't speak to this model of flash, but with my GX1 I use a Yongnuo manual flash and sometimes a variety of flashes triggered by a Cowboy Studios radio trigger mounted onto the GX1 hotshoe ... in either case I get sync up to 160 as expected.

Maybe it's something to do with the auto settings - have you tried dialing it in manually?

5. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I have the G3, not the GX-1, and I recently purchased a used FL-50 to use with it (as in, it arrived two days ago). On the hotshoe or with a TTL sync cord, I get 1/160s if I am not in an FP mode on the flash, but with the FP modes, I can sync all the way to 1/4000s (fastest shutter speed the G3 has). I generally have the camera in M mode when I'm shooting with flash, though. It might also be the mode you have the camera in.

Not sure if mft cameras work the same way, but on my Canons the assumption in aperture/shutter priority modes is that the flash is going to be used for fill, so the auto-exposure system will set shutter speeds close to what would be used for ambient-only exposure. If you're shooting in low light, this will generally mean a longer shutter speed, particularly if you are stopped down or using a low iso setting. In the P mode, the flash/ambient balance will be based upon the metering. In good light, fill, in low light, mostly flash. In M, however, you can pretty much set whatever you want.

6. sun12321

sun12321 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2010
    what about pany FL-220 or Nikon sb-30, anyone have experience on it? Thanks

7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Neither of those, but I've put an SB-26 on my Canon EOS cameras, so my guess would be that the SB-30 would work, but only in manual mode, and you probably want to tape over the TTL pins (every pin but the one in the center of the foot). And there's no way you're getting HSS out of a Nikon flash.

8. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler