External flash not working on EM-10iii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by David White, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:56 PM.

1. David White

David White New to Mu-43

Saturday
    Hi all. I have a problem and hoping someone has some insights.

I have two Olympus bodies (EM 10iii & EPL7) and my son has a Panasonic G6. I just received a Godox TT350 [O] flash that I was hoping to use on my OMD EM 10iii.

I unboxed it. Put batteries into the flash and tried to do some test shots on the EM 10iii. Nothing. No flash. Looked around menus and made sure that RC mode is off. Nothing.

I think the contacts are working ok. Seems to be fitting properly.

Put the flash on my EPL 7, flash works fine. Put the flash on my son's G6, flash works fine.

Updated my EM 10iii firmware to 1.2 just in case.... nothing.

Thinking that maybe my Hotshoe on me EM 10iii is toast.

Does anyone know if I am missing something? Any tricks?

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Are you on a mechanical shutter mode i.e. not electronic?

3. David White

David White New to Mu-43

Saturday
    I am in mechanical shutter mode as far as I can tell.

4. What mode is the flash set to on the camera - auto/red eye/fill in/off? Does the internal flash work?

5. David White

David White New to Mu-43

Saturday
    Hi Keith. The camera's pop-up flash is functional. I have tried all of the combinations of auto/red eye/fill-in etc. Nothing seems to work. Thanks

6. It does sound like a faulty hotshoe then.

7. David White

David White New to Mu-43

Saturday
    Hi Keith. The camera's pop-up flash is functional. I have tried all of the combinations of auto/red eye/fill-in etc. Nothing seems to work. Thanks

8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    ARE YOU SURE?!??

Second are you sure you are full seating the flash all the way forward on the M10?

9. David White

David White New to Mu-43

Saturday
    Well, my understanding is that electronic shutter is silent mode on the EM 10. I am not using the silent shutter. Is there another way that I could be in electronic shutter mode?

Pretty sure that the flash is seated fully forward. The spring-loaded pin snaps into place when I push the flash forward.

thanks.

10. David White

David White New to Mu-43

Saturday
    One additional question. The EM-10 mIII has 5 pins on the hot shoe 1 large and 4 small. The EPL7 has 4, 1 large and 3 small.
    My understanding is that the 4th pin is for camera power. Is that true?
    Is it possible that the flash I purchased is just not compatible with the camera and that I need a flash that has all 4 small pins?

The flash works fine with the EPL7 that has one fewer pin.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... did you go to the camera flash sub menu to make sure the flash is turned on ? ....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.