External flash not working on EM-10iii

David White

New to Mu-43
Hi all. I have a problem and hoping someone has some insights.

I have two Olympus bodies (EM 10iii & EPL7) and my son has a Panasonic G6. I just received a Godox TT350 [O] flash that I was hoping to use on my OMD EM 10iii.

I unboxed it. Put batteries into the flash and tried to do some test shots on the EM 10iii. Nothing. No flash. Looked around menus and made sure that RC mode is off. Nothing.

I think the contacts are working ok. Seems to be fitting properly.

Put the flash on my EPL 7, flash works fine. Put the flash on my son's G6, flash works fine.

Updated my EM 10iii firmware to 1.2 just in case.... nothing.

Thinking that maybe my Hotshoe on me EM 10iii is toast.

Does anyone know if I am missing something? Any tricks?

David White

New to Mu-43
What mode is the flash set to on the camera - auto/red eye/fill in/off? Does the internal flash work?
Hi Keith. The camera's pop-up flash is functional. I have tried all of the combinations of auto/red eye/fill-in etc. Nothing seems to work. Thanks

David White

New to Mu-43
What mode is the flash set to on the camera - auto/red eye/fill in/off? Does the internal flash work?
Hi Keith. The camera's pop-up flash is functional. I have tried all of the combinations of auto/red eye/fill-in etc. Nothing seems to work. Thanks

David White

New to Mu-43
ARE YOU SURE?!??

Second are you sure you are full seating the flash all the way forward on the M10?
Well, my understanding is that electronic shutter is silent mode on the EM 10. I am not using the silent shutter. Is there another way that I could be in electronic shutter mode?

Pretty sure that the flash is seated fully forward. The spring-loaded pin snaps into place when I push the flash forward.

thanks.

David White

New to Mu-43
One additional question. The EM-10 mIII has 5 pins on the hot shoe 1 large and 4 small. The EPL7 has 4, 1 large and 3 small.
My understanding is that the 4th pin is for camera power. Is that true?
Is it possible that the flash I purchased is just not compatible with the camera and that I need a flash that has all 4 small pins?

The flash works fine with the EPL7 that has one fewer pin.

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
One additional question. The EM-10 mIII has 5 pins on the hot shoe 1 large and 4 small. The EPL7 has 4, 1 large and 3 small.
My understanding is that the 4th pin is for camera power. Is that true?
Is it possible that the flash I purchased is just not compatible with the camera and that I need a flash that has all 4 small pins?

The flash works fine with the EPL7 that has one fewer pin.
The extra pin supplies power to the new style kit flash included with the E-M5II, Pen-F and E-M1.2, as these newer bodies lack the accessory port that powered the old kit flash.

It will have no impact on flashes that have their own battery.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
This might help.

On the E1 Mark II, the upper limit of the shutter speed is 1/250 sec. when using a flash. I've pushed it up to 1/300 sec. at times and it seems to cover the frame. The sync speed for silent mode and focus bracketing (E1-M2 Owner's manual Pg. 94) is 1/50 second. The sync speed at ISO sensitivities of 8000 and above and during ISO bracketing (P. 94) is 1/20 second.

I think there is also some data connections that the 3rd party flash units lose over the Olympus OEM flash. Might be the inability to control the flash output from the camera SCP or something. Been a while since I got into that problem. Olympus had an extension cable that had four pins (Three small and one large.), but they discontinued it when the 5-pin shoes came out. I have a Canon 5-pin cable that works though but still has the data passage issue with 3rd party flashes where it might affect the HSS auto-switching or output power selection from the camera.

Fwiw, I was trying to shoot with the Godox TT685-O on camera and ran into issues with the Silent Shutter mode too where it would not fire. I switched into the Shutter-shock free (or whatever they call it) and it fired as well as manual. I was using the HSS mode on the flash though along with high shutter speeds when it failed to fire, but it worked on other shutter modes except the multi-fire ones. Takes some playing with at times.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Fwiw, I was trying to shoot with the Godox TT685-O on camera and ran into issues with the Silent Shutter mode too where it would not fire. I switched into the Shutter-shock free (or whatever they call it) and it fired as well as manual. I was using the HSS mode on the flash though along with high shutter speeds when it failed to fire, but it worked on other shutter modes except the multi-fire ones. Takes some playing with at times.
Try this...

Shooting Menu 2 ➡ Anti-Shock [🔷] / Silent [❤] ➡ Silent [❤] Mode Settings ➡ Flash Mode ➡ Allow

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom