1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

External flash for GX1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jcr20190, Apr 21, 2013.

1. jcr20190

jcr20190 New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi, im thinking on buying an external flash for my gx1, im looking for a small one, mainly to dont waste the camera battery with the internal flash, which flash you recomend me?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I recommend you a spare battery. They're not that expensive, and are a necessary accessory.

I also recommend an Olympus FL-600R with a good softbox, like from Aurora or Lumiquest.

3. gamadlayla

gamadlayla New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2013
    do you really need external speed-light ? It is big and ugly on GX1, and the internal one do a pretty good job indoors..The only thing I miss is High speed sync.
    If all you need is indoor assistant (no video or HighSyncSpeed) try a cheep flash (100$) it will do the same job in the right hands ,About softbox (for real ???) mention above -if you do not know what it is, Do not buy any original expensive one before trying a cheap replacement - most of the cases it is Unnecessary .. and most people buying one just because someone told them too..or it looks Pro.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The BIF is little, very close to the lens axis and produces ugly, ugly light if used as the primary light source. An external flash that has a tilt/swivel head and a bounce card can make some nice light, if you know what you're doing.

5. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    But with the GX1, you can hold the flash back with your finger, in order to bounce. It meters really well for bounce, and with auto iso, it bumps it up so that this little flash is surprisingly useful. I wouldn't see a need for a small external flash (a large one, yes). I think the suggestion for an extra battery is a good one.

6. gamadlayla

gamadlayla New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2013
    +1

There are deferent kinds of needs when it come to flash
    I used external ones on my canon 40D, but looks like an overkill when it comes to the GX1 ... you can get the most expensive one with a bouncer or learn how to get the most of the GX1 built in flash.
    have that saying .. there is a great benefit from open apature lens like 20/1.7 when it comes to use internal flash indoor .. if you use the KIT lens the relatively close apature might be much for it (GN/Apature = light effective distance)
    So an extra battery and prime lens might be more useful then expensive external flash.

I think it's time for the OP to share more info about his needs and demands
    any case ,, enjoy :)

7. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Yes, I should have added that this bounce flash works great with a fast lens.

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Have you looked at the Metz 24 AF-1? Costs ~$90, and it has a tilt head but no swivel. I use it mostly with my LX-5, though it works just as well on my E-PM2 and E-M5. I also have an Olympus FL-300R and FL-600R, but I mainly use them off camera with my Oly bodies.

9. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    For a little fill to get some catch lights in a subject's eyes, maybe. As a primary light source? ... I guess it depends on what one thinks is good looking light :rolleyes:

10. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    As I said in the part of my post that you didn't quote, I can see a case for a large one. I have a Metz 58 and love it. That isn't what the poster was asking about, though. He's asking about a small external flash, his main concern battery life. I don't see what he would gain, especially if it were a small direct flash, which I believe would be less useful than bouncing the built in flash. At iso 800 with a fast lens, it is quite useful. If you have a GX1, try it, you might be surprised.

11. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    A quick and dirty (and messy, my apologies) example. No flash, direct flash, bounce flash. These were taken from about 12 feet away from the baby seat, 15 or more from the china cabinet, with a 45mm 1.8 lens, so it can fill a room with a fast lens. Notice the harsh shadows under the chair are gone, the glass looks much better, etc. With shots of people, the difference would be more evident.

The main reason I go on about this, is that this was the most pleasantly surprising thing for me about upgrading from the GF1. Combined with much cleaner iso, I think it's a pretty good upgrade that will certainly give me shots that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

P1000971-M.

P1000966-M.

P1000970-M.

• Like Like x 1
  12. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Doubt it. I've been doing this for 40 years and shot weddings for 10 years.

13. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I use the metz 24 with my em5 and gx1 and it's wonderful for bounce flash. It sits quite well on the gx1.
    It doesn't swivel, but I don't take many verical images and if I do I sometimes bounce sideways off the wall for nice directional light or crop from a horizontal image.

If it's really important I use the metz 44 or 50 that I also have and can swivel.

As to the built in flash pulled back for bounce - yes, it definitely does the trick even when I use slower lenses such as the 14-42 pz lens. I added the flash compensation to my quick menu and for good bounce from the BIF I crank it close to the max so the pop up is much more powerful and bounces very well.
    However, the results from the pop up bounce aren't in the same league as the metz 24. You will always need higher isos, slower shutter speed, and forcing the pop up flash to high power is probably not good for the flash, drains the battery and takes more time to recharge before the next shot.
    As a last resort it's great. But do yourself a favor and get the metz 24.

14. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I also tried this method and he actually is correct.

The pop up with a kit zoom at f3.5 and +2ev for flash compensation in ISO 500 and 1/60 shutter speed should work fine for a typical indoor shot.

But read my previous reply for the cons of this method.

15. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Do you know the difference between primary light source and fill? The built in flash (BIF) doesn't have enough power to be used as a primary light source when bounced. The guide number (GN) of the BIF is 6 (ISO 100). The Metz 50 AF-1 has a GN of 36 (normal lens FOV @ ISO 100). That's about 2.5 stops more light. The difference between using ISO 200 and (just over) 1000. The difference between being able to throw some decent looking light on a subject and a crappy looking snapshot.

I played with the BIF in my GX-1. It looks like crap. I'd sooner use a 20/1.7 and available light, because it would look better.

16. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    If it looked like crap it means you did it wrong.
    I'll take an image with fixed iso+aperture+shutter speed with and without the popup and upload it to prove you wrong.

17. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Look for a used FL-36

Very nice size for the GX-1. Should be available cheap. Check keh.com.

Bounce and swivel, high speed sync, fully compatible.

18. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    What flash are you talking about?

19. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Sorry, it was in the title of my response - FL-36.

20. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    I would like to know what I've been doing wrong with the built-in flash as well. let's see those "fixed iso+aperture+shutter speed with and without the popup" comparisons. a group photo would be a good start. would love to see them without lengthy post-processing as well.

thanks!