1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

External Flash damages EP3??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Imjinman, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Hi

I have an old Braun 320 BVC flash unit from my school boy days...it's old.

I am nervous about using it though on my new EP3, due to the warnings in the manual...unfortunately I read this after trialing a few shots. Will I have damaged the EP3??? I do know it is less than 24V. Seems to work though. Any thoughts on how to use it, without damaging the camera

Thanks

• Using obsolete flash units that apply currents of more than about 24 V to the camera hot shoe X-contact will damage the camera. [shoudl be OK I think]
    • Connecting flash units with signal contacts that do not conform to Olympus specifications may damage the camera. [Oops- will the Braun be OK?]
    • Use only with the camera in shooting mode M at shutter speeds slower than 1/180 s and at ISO settings other than [AUTO]. [what happens if I don't?? or didn't?]
    • Flash control can only be performed by manually setting the flash to the ISO sensitivity and aperture values selected with the camera. Flash brightness can be adjusted by adjusting either ISO sensitivity or aperture.
    • Use a flash with an angle of illumination suited to the lens. Angle of illumination is usually expressed using 35-mm format equivalent focal lengths.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Olympus are just covering their butt in case of a warranty claim. You should be just fine as long as you're happy that the flash isn't extra high voltage. If in doubt a cheap radio trigger may be the answer.

Gordon

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - but you better know FOR SURE that the trigger voltage is low enough.

You would probably feel pretty stupid destroying a $900 camera for a $50 flash.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You need a Safe Sync!! It will step down your voltage to safe digital camera levels, and will reduce your hotshoe to 1 pin.

Safe Syncs

Get it now. Please don't hesitate. :) It is possible to fry your camera if you keep using that flash. Go to your local full-service camera store, and if they don't have the Wein version they'll probably have another brand.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not sure, but I imagine that if you use any Auto/Priority settings or FP Sync mode (high-speed sync), then you will be using the extra contacts besides your main trigger contact, thus increasing the likelyhood of crossing current. That would be my theory, anyways. ;)