External Batter Pack

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Boatman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. I decided to build the external power supply for my GH2 shown in the YouTube video. This is really easy to do and it works. You wind up with an external battery that has to hang off your belt, if you are walking around, but it will power your camera for 3-5 times the life of the camera battery depending upon which 8.4v Traxxas battery you choose. There are several wattage models.

I took this idea a little further and created a dummy pair of AA batteries out of ½” dowels for my flash. I included in the package the tiny TSR12433 stepdown DC-DC voltage regulator available from Adafruit.com. The TSR12433 drops the 8.4v down to 3.3.v Now I can plug my flash into the same power supply as the camera and both can run off the external power at the same time.

I don't actually shoot weddings, but this would work well for anyone needed day-long battery life.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjbRRHJL7B0]GH2 Custom Battery Solution - YouTube[/ame]
  2. LDBecker

LDBecker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 8, 2012
    Do you have to use a "pancake lens"?

SO SORRY! Couldn't resist...

Cool concept, though!

3. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Thanks for sharing, although I think I would prefer still just to carry a few spare batteries, would be easier than carrying camera and the external camera pack. The one way I can see it being an advantage is if you where shooting a time laspe out doors and needed the extra power to get all the shoots you needed for video.
  4. Traxxas Battery

Yes, I agree. For what it cost, I could have just purchased another genuine Panasonic battery. The last two times I ordered one, though, they never shipped. My back up cheap-o battery only runs for about ten minutes. A week ago I shot 620 frames on the fresh Panasonic battery and it never even showed that it was starting to run down. That was pretty impressive.

So, the Traxxas functions as a worst-case backup. I guess I built it just to see how it would work out. BTW, I had hoped that with the higher amperage the flash would cycle faster, but as far as I can tell, it does not.