1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

External audiorecorder

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bendikfa, May 27, 2019.

1. Bendikfa

Bendikfa New to Mu-43

May 27, 2019
    Hello!

First of all, great forum. Been reading here for a while now, but just now decided to create an account because I have a question that I hope you can help me with!

I currently have a Panasonic GX80 camera, that I am quite happy with. I recently decided that I wanted to start filming with it, and bought myself a Boye mm-1 microphone, but to my disappointment my camera does not support the use of an external microphone. So therefore, I was thinking I could buy an external audio recorder with a decent memory, and just connect the boye microphone to that and just edit the sound in after filming!

So my question is, can someone help me find a decent, cheap (I am a poor student) audio recorder that I connnect my Boye microphone to? Obviously the microphone quality of the recorder does not have to be good, seeing I am connecting an external microphone to it.
    Also! It has to be light and easy, because I will bring it on a 14 days fishing trip in the mountains.

Hope someone can help me. Thanks.

best regards
    Bendik

2. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Have you tried the mic with your phone? I use Sony's Audio Recorder app and it works fine for voice and ambient sounds.

Besides that, the Tascam dr5 or Zoom h1 are about the cheapest out there. Both are good.

3. Bendikfa

Bendikfa New to Mu-43

May 27, 2019
    Thanks for the reply ScottinPollock.

The problem for me using my phone, is that it won't last long enough for me. As I am going on a two week fishing trip I have to bring something else to record the audio with than my phone. I will look into Tascam DR5 or Zoom H1. I have read about it a bit... But using those, is there a way to start recording the same time as you start filming, or do you have to do that manually? And what about just buying a cheap audio recorder from Dealextreme, like this? Portable 8GB LCD Digital Audio Voice Recorder Dictaphone - Black will that do the trick?

Again, thanks for the reply.

4. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Mike Peters
    The zoom H1 will actually negate the need for the mic you have. You'll want a furry cover and a shock mount for it. That would be the most simple way to go. But it's not free.

And yes, you'll need to start them both manually and synch them later. Not so hard to do if you just clap a few times and you can line up the audio spikes when editing.

The portable audio recorder that you linked to will probably have worse audio than the built in mics in your camera.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Can't vouch for the audio recorder you linked to but I suspect Mike may be spot on about it. Both the Tascam and Zoom can be had for under a hundred and are versatile devices worth having.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    A lot depends on your expectations

maybe your 17 buck device will satisfy your initial needs.. I have no idea what you are intending to record, voice, ambient or whatever.

Recording sound is a whole dark art in its self

the downsides I see of the 17 buck device are

1) Unknown Analog to Digital quality... though I suspect that it may be indistinguishable for most purposes from the inbuilt mics and A/D convertors of the . It may not be the highest quality, but CD quality analog to digital basic conversion is a given.. Getting the mic off the camera and closer to the source will improve audio massively

2) Internal storage for recording... no sd card.. maybe limiting..

3) Internal battery... if it goes flat there is no quick replacement. No idea how off the grid your fishing trip is and what your charging facilities will be

The 79 buck tascam would be a more future proof, proven and reliable solution if your budget could stretch... heck I am sure you could resell it for 50 bucks if it doesn't suit you

just my thoughts

K

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bendikfa

Bendikfa New to Mu-43

May 27, 2019
    Thank you so much for your replies! Really appreciate it!

Well, I plan to film the atmosphere around the bonfire, the fly fishing itself and generally just the beautiful moments of a fishing trip. Will add some music to it as well. I'd like to catch the sound of the river and the birds chirping, but not the wind, the general background noise and so on. As I am sure you can hear I am a complete beginner at this, so sorry about that!

Yeah and maybe I should find something with an SD-card slot. I will look into. I have a feeling I will end up with the tascam recorder now, seeing that everyone is recommending it!

Again thanks alot for the replies. One last question now that I have you here... How do you pair the recordings in an effective way? I mean, if there are 20 movie clips and 20 recordings, how do you know which one is for which recording? Just match the time and date I reckon? Cheers!

9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I use a Sony ICD-UX560 as pocket recorder, extremely small and lasts forever on a charge (builtin lithium battery) and turns on in a second or just keep it on standby. However, it does not mount to the camera. You could just use Velcro if you use the Boya as it has a fuzzy windscreen and shock mount.

If you’re just shooting and recording here and there, you’ll want a recorder that can turn on quickly. My Zoom H4N takes up to a minute to turn on if I have a large card in it, and drains batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bendikfa

Bendikfa New to Mu-43

May 27, 2019
    Great, thanks. After listening to you all and also looking at the Sony recorder I realise that I simply can't afford it now. Decided to try one of the cheap alternatives on the chinese web pages and will try. If it doesn't work out I will definitely just buy either the Sony one or the Tascam one after summer job pay day ha!

And for those who are interested, I ended up buying this one: US $16.7 47% OFF|8GB/16GB/32GB Voice Recorder USB Professional 96 Hours Dictaphone Digital Audio Voice Recorder With WAV,MP3 Player-in Digital Voice Recorder from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    I will get back to you on whether it worked or not!

11. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    When you get ready to buy, find that used a TASCAM D60 with the camera mounted on top of it works well on the Gx85. It makes for a larger system which is easier to hold and works well on a tripod also. The "mini" studio of the D60 is very useful IMHO. If you get a camera with sound out and in you can record the camera sound to the D60 or send the D60 sound to the camera. Bit larger than the smaller recorders but for me the the options make it worth it especially on camera with weak sound.

12. Sync will be done manually when you edit. A loud clap, visible on camera, will make it really simple. Your capture workflow would be: Audio on, camera on, clap, now proceed.

Your phone would also be my suggestion. Spend the $30 on a USB battery (10-20000 mah) that can charge your phone and other devices.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194WDVHI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After that, another $30-50 would get you a decent solar panel set to charge the USB battery.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1OUPT...&pd_rd_r=961f43ee-8157-11e9-b4c5-ef907af3647f

These are examples. Many products in each category. Basically, you are then "Off Grid" for brief periods. Provide water and food and you can extend that to long periods off grid.

And, you should back up your captures. Your phone can do that as well (it's the hub, so get a good USB battery to supplement it).
    https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128G...d&qid=1559055154&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

And these really work and are simple to use.
    https://www.amazon.com/geekgo-Reade...&qid=1559055333&s=gateway&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1

Camera gets backed up to phone and a few of those flash drives
    https://www.amazon.com/TOPESEL-Flas...teway&sprefix=USB+flash+drives,aps,217&sr=8-9

Now you have 2 backup copies of your captures, and a solar powered system for phone and I suggest a Fake USB battery for the camera. You can be gone until the food runs out - and since you'll be fishing.....

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    I've been using the Tascam DR-40. It's not the newest, but has good preamps, and internal stereo mics. Very sensitive and will work as a dynamic mic with mics spread, or cardioid mic with mics pointing to center. It's a all around hand recorder that will work with 2 external mics, or all 4 for a variety of situations. The only down side is having to sync up the audio to the video. But it gets easier the more you do it.

It can be set up for auto gain and limiting which works great with loud concert music. This is the audio of the DR-40 from my last concert this past weekend. I had the recorder mounted to the hotshoe.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.