1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

External Audio - Small camera, no mic input (GX7 / LX100)?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by sgreszcz, Jan 9, 2015.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm looking at ways to augment the sound capabilities of my GX7 and LX100 cameras for run-and-gun event shooting. Neither of them have microphone input jacks, and both have hotshoes. I'm trying to find a small solution, since these are small cameras, to use with my benro video monopod. I already own a Zoom H1 recorder, but I'm wondering if a small shotgun mic would be more appropriate for directional sound recording. I also own and used lavs (Olympus -> H1 and Rode Smartlav+ -> iphone) but I'm looking for something to get better sound if I can't get close enough to the action or have access to the speakers to slap on a lav.

Some of the ideas I've looked at:

Rode videmic go (£60) -> Zoom H1 which I already own. Any tips on how to rig this up to the camera or monopod/tripod? There are smaller recorders like the new Tascam DR-10c (£200 - pricey), and littleDARling (not yet available).

Shure Lenshopper VP83F with built-in recorder (£300), but it is a bit pricey and I'm not too sure if something similar and cheaper will be coming out soon from other companies, such as Rode.

Any experiences with small external-audio setups would be appreciated. The first project I'm going to use this for will be trying to video an outdoor winter bobsled/skeleton event at the end of January.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Very interested in this myself having just acquired the LX100. Haven't started researching yet myself seriously but would love to see some chatter in this thread about this topic.

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Zoom h1 and sync in post

• Like Like x 1
  4. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Yeah I think I'm going with that as I've used my h1 for recording a concert before as well as have done sync in post with a lav into my iPhone..

I just wasn't sure how well the h1 will perform outside for picking up environmental sounds especially since the body case picks up so much noise. I'll try it a bit outside once my monopod arrives this week. I have deadcat (windjammer) that works well. I'm not sure if I need a shock mount though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Use the H1 with a mic for a better sound for what you need. I use a zoom h4n with a lav (sometimes have a splitter and two lavs coming in on one line [do a sound check]) then process in post.

What are you recording on this occasion?

You can get a small adapter that fits the zoom h1 to the top of the camera or make up a cheap bracket that hold both the zoom h1 and a mic that is plugged into the zoom. Mounting it should eliminate any handling noise.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331109737565?