Extension tube for E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cosimo Matteini, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Cosimo Matteini

Cosimo Matteini Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 15, 2010
    London - UK
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I would like to try some close up/macro work with my E-PL1 and my 50mm F1.8 lens.

I am considering close-up lens, but i understand the quality can be quite poor (I still might try, for the price I might as well).

I am thinking about getting some extension tubes though. How does it work for the mount though? On Ebay I mainly see those for the 4/3 range. I take it there are no tubes as yet for the M4/3.

And often they are described as OM, but i thought OM and $/3 are different mounts?

Which one should I look for on Ebay? And will i be able to use them with my 50mm F1.8 lens?

Thanks in advance

Cosimo

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Cosimo Matteini

Mar 15, 2010
    London - UK
    I see, that sounds good. But my query was whether, I could fit the ring between the OM lens and the OM to M4/3 adaptor.

I was also confused as I find some on ebay which are described for both am OM and as 4/3, and I thought those two are different mounts.

4. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    With the m4/3s extension ring, it'll have the m4/3s flange on the lens end, so you can use any lens in the same way as you would with just the body, ie the appropriate adapter. In your case, the OM adapter.

The OM/4/3s adapters are only for 4/3s bodies and OM lenses. It's just some broken English that causes the confusion.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cosimo Matteini

Mar 15, 2010
    London - UK
    I don't think the one I saw were adapters though, but yes it might be a wrong description.

Something I would like to understand though is if I can use some old OM extension tubes, like those here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLYMPUS-OM-fi...herAccess_RL?hash=item3efdc05606#ht_500wt_975 in between the OM lens and the M4/3 adaptor.

As I understand, the tubes are just cylinders and they don't have anything inside. So as lond as the OM lens would fit to them, and they would fit to the adapter, would that be ok?

Sorry if I am not getting it

6. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If you get an OM to m4/3s adapter, then you can use OM extension tubes with OM lenses on m4/3s bodies.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cosimo Matteini

Mar 15, 2010
    London - UK
    Thanks that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure

8. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Hello,
    I noticed the want for a good M4/3 macro lens. I would suggest that the Sigma 28mm macro for Canon FD with an adaptor would make an excellent choice. Also branded as Sears and I would assume that it was made for Nikon Pentax an Minolta as well. There are currently 2 on ebay at the moment, item numbers 220573320241, 160406652960 plus a few Sears versions at a lesser price.
    I have used this lens with film since purchased new in the 70's and can attest to its capabilities. It with a couple of other FD lenses is the reason why I will eventually buy one or other of the current M/43 cameras...

Michael

9. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

How about the Lumix Leica 45mm Macro f2.8
    It is an excellent lens on my GF1 - I have not tried it on an Olympus m4/3 yet.

10. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

11. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Macro lenses as opposed to extension rings

Its another option for macro photography a good macro lens (or a selection of them) are in the long run a better option than extension rings. The sigma 28mm gives you the equivalent of a 56mm macro lens on a M4/3 great quality at a bargain price. I have found extension rings especially manual sets cramp ones style once you get shooting, the automatic variety are better. Macro lenses are far superior to work with even when they are manual.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
  12. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Most macro lenses that are easy to find are in the 50mm or below focal length. This really isn't enough in my view to allow you a good working distance and also the ability to improve lighting. Working distance is essential for skittish creatures and it allows you to add supplementary lighting etc, or not block existing lighting, with much greater ease.

With extension tubes, you can also use a far greater variety of lenses, especially tele, to give you greater distance and/or greater magnification. The macro tube that looks to be in the wind will be like the current one, which you can't stack and retain AF. In most cases, you don't really want AF anyway. What Olympus needs to do is bring out a prooper bellows unit, like in he OM days. This shot, for example, was taken with a Nikon 300mm and 4/3s extension tube from something like 20' away:

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

13. Adech

Adech New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2010